PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

L92 with VVT, E38 ECM and a manual transmission - is there a solution?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015 | 01:05 PM
Teching In

Default L92 with VVT, E38 ECM and a manual transmission - is there a solution?

Hi,

is it possible to get the stock L92 VVT (no afm, no flex fuel) ECM working with a manual transmission? I would like to keep the VVT function. However there were no L92 VVT engines offered with a manual transmission from factory. Hence there is no manual oem map to flash on the ECM.

What kind of options do I have except buying a fully programmable ECU from MAST? Is it possible to change some parameters in the stock ECU and make the auto map work anyway? If so what kind of limitations/restrictions would I face? Furthermore I assume that a custom tune would fix any potential problems, isn't it?
Old 09-18-2015 | 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by nakedpants
Hi,

is it possible to get the stock L92 VVT (no afm, no flex fuel) ECM working with a manual transmission? I would like to keep the VVT function. However there were no L92 VVT engines offered with a manual transmission from factory. Hence there is no manual oem map to flash on the ECM.

What kind of options do I have except buying a fully programmable ECU from MAST? Is it possible to change some parameters in the stock ECU and make the auto map work anyway? If so what kind of limitations/restrictions would I face? Furthermore I assume that a custom tune would fix any potential problems, isn't it?
The L92s all came with 6L80e transmissions, so the ECU did not control the trans. The TCU is built into the transmission.

So I don't see why you can't make a manual trans work with the stock e38 and retain VVT.

Andrew
Old 09-18-2015 | 11:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by nakedpants
Hi,

I tried it back in 2008 and couldnt figure it out, it always went into a weird limp mode with no codes. I ended up deleting the VVT and using a vette manual OS and it ran fine. Never tried it again or even had a request for it so never though much about it again. Could you use a vette OS and enable the VVT and fill out all the VVT tables? I'll have to do some checking to see if you can enable the VVT and have it work correctly.

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The L92s all came with 6L80e transmissions, so the ECU did not control the trans. The TCU is built into the transmission.

So I don't see why you can't make a manual trans work with the stock e38 and retain VVT.

Andrew

It not even remotely that simple. If you run an auto tune the ECM looks for the TCM if its not there it will cause all kinds of problems. Thats why you switch to a manual OS except like the OP said there isnt a manual VVT OS to go to.
Old 09-21-2015 | 12:46 PM
Teching In

One guy posted on a forum that he made the L92 VVT + T56 combination work with some kind of beta version or tune from hptuners (I lost the link to the thread but it was 2 years old or so). I contacted hptuners now and asked if they really have a solution for this problem.

Quick Reply: L92 with VVT, E38 ECM and a manual transmission - is there a solution?