Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 SD tune and CA smog

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 SD tune and CA smog

So my 04 gto is due for a smog here in CA where they now do a simple plug in test for codes on 2001 and newer vehicles. Im running an SD tune so when they plug in they will see a MAF fault. I have it set to not report the code so no light on dash but a scan tool still shows a fault. I was thinking about putting a resistor in the MAF circuit then calibrating the MAF table whatever that value is but don't know if that's possible.
Has anyone had to deal with this or anything like it? I would like to avoid having to do a MAF tune just for smog. Let alone modifying my intake for the sensor.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

build is 04 GTO M6 ls3 427 mild smog cam 530 rwhp 507 rwtq
Old 02-04-2016, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

MAF outputs a changing frequency to the PCM depending on airflow. A resistor will not duplicate that. If you run SD you are stuck with a code.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I'm stuck doing a MAF tune. Ill probably do a ls3 card style setup. Unless i can find a way around it.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default LS1 SD tune and CA smog

Yep, CA does not tolerate any DTC's read thru the OBD2 port.

They do not run model year 2000+ on the roller anymore...

BUT they allow only the EVAP readiness to be not-ready, all others must be ready.

EDIT: for 2001+ model year CA allows only one readiness monitor to be not-ready, and the EVAP monitor is it

Last edited by joecar; 02-13-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

And they do a visual, so your LS3 card style MAF won't look stock.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine is SD tuned also. I took the MAF off the car but kept the stock MAF and tube and just tied up the maf plug and left it hanging. When I need to get it inspected, I put the maf back on and switch to a MAF tune that I saved and drive it to the station and back and then swap back. You can't have a failed maf in TX either. It runs OK in the lower rpm's and I don't get on it. Just runs god enough to pass the DTC test.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

from what i understand, & i've read quite a few threads stating pretty much the same thing, ANY aftermarket/performance tuning detected in the ecu smog test in cali will render you an automatic fail.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not responsible for what you do with this information:

http://highperformancejunkies.com/tu...sensor-tuning/

that being said, you don't need a full MAF tune...just enough to get it to run and stay running...it can run like a bag of sh*t as long as those codes are all gone and it shows ready....ask me how I know? lol

We had to tune my buddies Sonoma - he has an issue with the MAF that it goes completely haywire...he thought it was a MAF issue, bought 3 different sensors and it still goes crazy and the truck runs like a bag of ****...he gave up trying to diagnose it so I SD tuned it for him....he gets over 500 miles all highway and it runs mint...but come testing time, he couldn't have a MAF error. So I spent about 15 minutes tuning it to get it just to stay running but man was it running like total crap...pulled it in, did what was needed...swapped back to the SD tune... thing runs clean as can be and unreal gas mileage- and I can say that because we just recently got OBD2 testing, so it used to run the sniffer and pass with flying colours on the SD tune...

Quick Reply: LS1 SD tune and CA smog