Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Methods to pass OBDII inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Methods to pass OBDII inspection

Hello, I recently picked up an ls1 I plan on building for boost and swapping into my Nissan Z. I live in NY and wanted to know what I have to do to pass NYS obdii emissions test. I've read of people doing it but none of them clearly say what they do. I wanted to run an aftermarket Ecu because of features like boost control, anti lag, multiple times etc. If there's an aftermarket Ecu that I can wire up and obdii plug to, please let me know. from the swaps I've read, most people use a gm pcm. I'd be willing to do that if that's really my only option, but again I'm not sure the actual process of getting it to pass. Wouldn't the vin of the gm car come up on the inspectors computer? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GM PCM will be required if your state plugs into the OBDII port. You'll need all the cats and EVAP system. The EGR can be done without if it's a newer LS1 PCM(LS6 and others).

They usually check for the VIN and system test status.

If you run an aftermarket ECU that uses the stock harness you can just swap them out for the inspection.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:04 AM
12v
Teching In

If you car by title is older than 1996 it will be no emission (OBDII) tests. Safety only. Otherwise inspector should visually check presence of emission devises (applicable to your car) such as EGR, Cats, Secondary Air injection, thermostatic air filter, fuel inlet restrictor, and so on. If follow letter of law all devices which standard on your model of Nissan should be found on your car. No matter what actual engine is in. Check Engine Light should be on when ignition is on and should be off when engine is running.

When connect to OBDII port state controlled PC will detect protocol, read trouble codes (if present) read state of monitors (complete or incomplete), VIN, calibration ID numbers. In case all is OK, it will issue you a sticker no matter what VIN it will read. And inspector will be unaware of different VIN.

It is a gray area, when engine is different, it is up to inspector, but formally it is not a reason to reject a car. If I will inspect such car I will document changes in your car and put them aside, in case they decided to punish me for clean-piping http://www.lawfuel.com/nine-charged-...n-piping-fraud
Old 02-19-2016, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 12v
If you car by title is older than 1996 it will be no emission (OBDII) tests. Safety only. Otherwise inspector should visually check presence of emission devises (applicable to your car) such as EGR, Cats, Secondary Air injection, thermostatic air filter, fuel inlet restrictor, and so on. If follow letter of law all devices which standard on your model of Nissan should be found on your car. No matter what actual engine is in. Check Engine Light should be on when ignition is on and should be off when engine is running.

When connect to OBDII port state controlled PC will detect protocol, read trouble codes (if present) read state of monitors (complete or incomplete), VIN, calibration ID numbers. In case all is OK, it will issue you a sticker no matter what VIN it will read. And inspector will be unaware of different VIN.

It is a gray area, when engine is different, it is up to inspector, but formally it is not a reason to reject a car. If I will inspect such car I will document changes in your car and put them aside, in case they decided to punish me for clean-piping http://www.lawfuel.com/nine-charged-...n-piping-fraud

Ok so what you're saying is that I can have a different on the Ecu than what they scanned on the registration and still get a sticker if everything passes?
Old 02-19-2016, 03:12 PM
12v
Teching In

Originally Posted by makeyourowndestiny
Ok so what you're saying is that I can have a different on the Ecu than what they scanned on the registration and still get a sticker if everything passes?
Yes, it will pass.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 12v
Yes, it will pass.
So in theory there can be two cars in the inspection bay, one with a swap, and one random oem car. they can scan the reg on the swapped car and then plug the obdii into the regular car and pass the swapped car for the emissions test that was done on a random oem car? If so I'm going to celebrate
Old 02-19-2016, 05:31 PM
12v
Teching In

For the motorist does not matter what is plugged in state computer it will be a sticker if no CE light and codes and monitors passed (two not complete is OK for older than 2001 MY and one for 2001 and up). Problem might be only for inspector/facility, because they will be suspected for "clean piping". But there are many cars with PCMs with wrong VINs and it is no automatically triggered action. They need bulk for one facility to began investigation. Few years ago it was very common for downstate NY stations to cheat by substituting clean car but eventually they all got cut and some even go to jail. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1295646

Quick Reply: Methods to pass OBDII inspection