Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

horsepower vs fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default horsepower vs fuel

So say you have stroked your lq9 and have raised the compression slightly to around 11.8 - 12 : 1 .... and looking at the plugs it seems like your right on the edge with timing looking like it might start predetonating and might want to back it down a little ....

If this is an off road only vehicle, can timing be kept where it is or even added some with E85 ? Would it hurt or help horsepower ? The fuel system can support the fuel flow, injectors could support it... found a good source for it locally ... but since this isn't a blown application is there any real advantages ?

E85 does seem to run cleaner on the plugs....
Old 02-24-2016, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real question is, once you get the timing right and a good STOICH mixture of 10% ethanol vs 85% ethanol... does one have more "pop" or better flame burn than the other ? Has anyone ever dynoed the two back to back to see the difference ? Is there a difference ?

Im pretty sure from experimenting that even thought it can handle more compression, diesel has less "pop" than gasoline and makes less flame speed (horsepower), but obviously more duration... not sure about ethanol.....
Old 03-04-2016, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I am no expert by any means, so take this with a grain of salt. From what I have read, on a NA setup, there isn't enough of a difference to run E85. I have read even after getting the correct A/F ratio on E, and adding timing, it didn't change the ET's, and it actually became less consistent. I don't remember where I read it, but some forum. (as probably like you, I am on several)

Quick Reply: horsepower vs fuel