PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Fixed CEL code items, now stalls out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Fixed CEL code items, now stalls out!

I had two codes and the car wouldn't start. P0140 and 1416. I took out the AIR CHECK VALVES, put in new ones. Replaced the 2ndary O2 sensor. Now the car starts, runs 5 seconds and stalls out. I'm %99 sure I got the O2 sensor plugged in, but it was a pita. The car won't run long enough to pull new codes. I'm thinking 2 things, could the seized check valves have messed up the air pump? Could a cat be plugged? I'd like to get a pressure gauge to check fuel, but it starts ok. How do I diagnose from here?

1998 trans am, auto
Old 03-07-2016, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Those 2 codes should not cause engine shut down..
Check the fuel psi...Sounds as tho the pump prime is working, but pump does not continue to run, once key is back in the run position.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

It does run for 8-10 seconds after releasing the key. Are those two separate pumps? or just 2 functions of the same pump?

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Check the fuel psi...Sounds as tho the pump prime is working, but pump does not continue to run, once key is back in the run position.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default 1 pump..

Originally Posted by xirxious
It does run for 8-10 seconds after releasing the key. Are those two separate pumps? or just 2 functions of the same pump?
Once the key is turned to run, you should hear the pump run for a few secs, then quit. [Prime cycle].
Turning the key to start will spin the engine over, creating a tach signal. That will then restart the pump.
If you are starting the engine, and then it dies, it could be the run side power is missing.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you get any issues with the ignition key anti-theft chip or is the Security light on? Almost sounds like an issue with VATs.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

I measured the pressure at the rail and it's only 15ish and drops off. I have a 1998 and read the cut hole location for the tank is different. I searched with no luck on A how to for fuel pump replacement?
Originally Posted by Old Geezer

Quick Reply: Help! Fixed CEL code items, now stalls out!