PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P0068 and Safe Mode

Old 04-06-2016, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code P0068 and Safe Mode

I have an 05 A4 goat. I ported the stock throttle body and intake manifold. When I am WOT in 1st gear near 6K RPM the engine will throw this code and go in to "Safe Mode". Ive had the ported goodies for a little over a month now, and I have done several WOT runs in all gears up to the redline... Except 4th for obvious reasons and never had this issue until yesterday.

Code P0068 is basically when the MAF is reading more air than what the ECM has calculated for a specific RPM/Throttle Position/MAP. Ive looked and found some good info,

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tags/p0068.html

According to this thread, it seems to be safe to tune this code out using HPT or set the values higher for modified cars.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagno...folds-tbs.html

Code P0121 also gets set during this time. I have read that when P0068 is set it will also throw a code for the TPS, even though it is fine. I have a new stock throttle body being delivered today that I will replace to rule that out as an issue.

My question is, this since this these two codes are the only ones being thrown and I have no other issues, can I get HPT and turn off code P0068 safely? If I turn it off, and an actual issue arises will I be hurting something since that code is disabled now?

I have a small laundry list of things to check/fix when I replace the throttle body this afternoon. I have a severely loose positive battery terminal that also could cause something like this (like the terminal is so loose that you can pull it off by hand). I need to check the MAF wiring because the previous owner had a K&N air heater that moved the position of the MAF and he had the wires stretched out like crazy.

I'll also add that this only seems to happen in 1st gear around 6K RPM. I can nearly bounce off the limiter in 2nd without issue. Part throttle drive ability is great too, no issues there.

Any other advice/troubleshooting steps are welcome!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:49 AM
Teching In

Wanted to bump this thread with more info:

The new throttle body arrived (gold blade). Put it on this morning, I didnt check any wiring just yet because I wanted to only change one thing at a time and confirm if it is indeed the throttle body or not.

Let me start out by saying this, it is impossible to get a good WOT pull in 1st gear when the roads are wet... Had quite a few issues with traction control. I took it to redline with my foot to the floor and it had no issues. Didnt see the saftey mode or any codes pop up (Scanned with Tech 2).

So now that confirms that the issue is either with the electronics (TPS) in the throttle body or that it is throwing the code because my throttle body is ported and that allows for a bit of extra air flow that its not expecting and it causes the safe mode and code.

To further rule out the electronics this afternoon I am going to take the actuator off of the new throttle body and put it on my ported one. If I get the code/saftey mode then, I will know it is because of the ported throttle body and not an electrical issue. If that turns out to be the case, then I'll get HPT or find someone with credits for a GTO and either adjust those tables or disable that code all together.

When I do get my hands on HPT I'll be making a few adjustments to the trans tuning as well
Old 06-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Just as an update to this thread, I confirmed that the ported TB was the item that was causing the P0068 code, and not the electronics of the TB. The car will only set P0068 in 1st gear at WOT above ~5.5K RPMs. WOT in 2nd and 3rd to the stock Redline does not set it off. When the code is set, the only way to get the car back to normal is to shut it off and clear the code with a Tech 2 or code reader. I have not tried pulling the battery or other methods (I doubt it would work).

I need to get HPT and adjust the tables or disable the P0068 code and MAF tests all together.

Also for anyone interested, I am running the LS3 gold blade on my 05 GTO and its been fine.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Philbar71; 06-24-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Code P0068 and Safe Mode