PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Turbo car sensor reading and placement

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016 | 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default Turbo car sensor reading and placement

First of all I apologize if this is in the wrong section

I bought a turbo car 2002 f-body, iron block 376. Ls3 intake and heads custom cam. It has a tc76mm turbo with truck manifold setup mounted in the front of the engine.
The problem is it's not running 100% and I went to read the live data and first noticed the o2 monitor was not set. So I picked up a couple new o2's. Then the problem. I noticed bank 2 oxygen sensor is in the down pipe. And the crossover pipe has the wideband in it? I am new to turbo cars but it doesn't look right.
Bank 1 o2 is in the crossover pipe and plugged into the factory harness.
Is there any reason for the other Bank to be swapped like that?
Thanks guys
Old 04-14-2016 | 11:07 PM
9 Second Club

Bank 1 / Sensor 1 should be in the driver's side exhaust manifold
Bank 2 / Sensor 1 should be in the passenger side exhaust manifold

Bank 1 & 2 / Sensor 2 should be deleted. This is the position for sensors downstream of the catalytic converter.

The wideband O2 sensor should be installed in the downpipe, a minimum of 18" downstream of the turbo.
Old 04-15-2016 | 06:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chevy406
Bank 1 / Sensor 1 should be in the driver's side exhaust manifold
Bank 2 / Sensor 1 should be in the passenger side exhaust manifold

Bank 1 & 2 / Sensor 2 should be deleted. This is the position for sensors downstream of the catalytic converter.

The wideband O2 sensor should be installed in the downpipe, a minimum of 18" downstream of the turbo.

Thanks, exactly what I thought. Swapped everything back to what I thought was correct and it ran great. And my data straightened out. I was 99% sure it was wrong, but being my first turbo car figured I would ask.
My wideband on this car is about 8" down stream of the turbo, do you think this is to close? when you say 18" min, do you mean nothing closer than 18"?
Old 04-15-2016 | 08:01 AM
9 Second Club

On a new installation I would place the wideband at least 18" downstream of the turbo outlet. Granted that is just a even number that sounds sufficient to reduce a little heat. Since you already have the WB located, leave it there for now. If the sensor lives a long and prosperous life, then you will have educated me and anyone else who reads your thread , that a close WB placement is fine.

Glad you got the car running better. Now go out and enjoy compressing air and burning hydrocarbons.
Old 04-19-2016 | 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wideband closer to the turbo is fine but plan to replace them more often.

Mine has always been 6-12" from turbo housing and never had any issues. Installed it there for easy access to remove the sensor from above, tuner can use his own wideband for the tune then swap mine back after the tune.

Over 100k miles, replaced the sensor twice while it was still daily driven. 18psi on the small turbo. 24psi on the 60 lbs/min turbo and pump 93. 28psi on 60 lbs/min turbo with pump 93 + straight methanol. EGT 1600-1700*F a few inches off the cylinder head, estimated around 900*F at the turbo housing. Hurt the turbo first this time (no bov). Using the same sensor location for the new turbo going in, new turbo will flow more and push higher psi and will run a bov again.

Quick Reply: Turbo car sensor reading and placement