Sponsored by:

HPT: Unable to locate vehicles diagnostics protocol

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default HPT: Unable to locate vehicles diagnostics protocol

**Solved**
Dumb mistake on my part. I didn't have the EBCM connector secured to the ABS module. After fixing that, no issues at all.

Anyone ever received this? I cannot find anything related to this via searching. Maybe my search skills are weak.

Car is a 2010 LS3 Camaro and I've previously used the interface on the car. The interface shows power when connected to the OBDII port and not the laptop. I have unplugged and plugged and wiggled all the cables and get the same message.

It finds the interface but can't talk to the car. I have emailed HPT support and just sent them the VIN, info log, and debug file they asked for.

Laptop is Win 10 and I'm using HPT 3.0.5. I was running on laptop battery power and only the HPT scanner was running; the editor was not.

I did move the car's ABS module, PCM, and fusebox so I'm not ruling out something related to that or the necessary wiring modifications to move them. I have not tried to start the car because I can't download the tune to update injector info, etc.

Some of the things I plan to try are:
-checking each pin on the OBDII connector for the necessary multimeter readings
-sending the PCM to someone to see if a bench harness can read it to confirm/deny the PCM is good
-borrowing someone else's HPT to see if it can read the PCM (I don't know anyone I can borrow one from is the issue there)

Anyone have any useful suggestions?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails HPT: Unable to locate vehicles diagnostics protocol-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by blake b; 04-23-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Do the troubleshooting steps that you listed out for yourself. Start with the easy verification of 12v power at the OBD2 port.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

I ruled out the interface today. It connected to my wife's Yukon without issue and I downloaded the latest version (3.0.88). I traced some wiring and all seemed well. I then became depressed over it and started doing other things like the plumbing for the car.

I'm taking a couple days off from the car then I'll began troubleshooting starting with the OBD2 port. The interface lights up when plugged only into the OBD port and also flashes busy at times.

I'm really starting to think it was my wiring job or the ECM went bad. Anyone know anyone really good at diagnosing stuff like this?
Old 04-23-2016, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

glad you figured it out.

i have to ask, is that your hip in your avatar?

doc is telling me i'll need one eventually. AVN from getting hit by a car, didn't even break anything. Just bruised it real bad.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Yes, that is my hip. I had both resurfaced in 2012 (six months apart) when I was 41yo. I didn't have AVN, just bad hip genetics. Don't wait too long because the AVN will cause the bone to deteriorate. I work with a guy who had both replaced because of AVN. He has a noticable limp because of how long he waited.

Best thing I ever did. I couldn't sleep at night because of the pain. Doc gave me my choice of replacement or resurfacing. I have no limitations physically and regularly squat, deadlift, run without pain. If you have any specific questions, PM me your number and I'll fill you in on my experiences.

Quick Reply: HPT: Unable to locate vehicles diagnostics protocol