Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, ALOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Need help, ALOT

Okay. I am going to start out by saying I am not a wiring guru nor a tuner. I can do basic wiring. With that being said I am building a race car and trying to do everything myself to a point. So I will probably be getting help with this aspect. So to the question. I am starting at ground zero, I bought a V6 car and have built my motor and got my TH400 so the wiring is up. Here are my options I THINK.
Buy stock harness and take out what I don't need, buy all the gauges I need, boost controller, hp tuners and other misc things I will need

Go MS3

Buy the Holley EFI HP with racepak dash

I am starting to read and compare all these options. I am leaning towards the last one, but the MS3 is starting to look good as well. I know I am probably missing a lot things that you guys need to know to better answer my questions.

1. What is user friendly for the new user
2. Ms3 seems to be most cost effective, am I wrong?
3. Does a beginner need everything the aftermarket standalone have to offer?
4. Does a car that doesn't make 1500hp and run 7 or 8s need anything other than the stock ecu?

I honestly am truly lost. Everyone that builds a car doesn't wanna do it twice but also needs to be budget minded. I really think the Holley HP will fit my bill the best, but seems like I am over doing it at the same time. Sorry for the rant

Also car will still need to be street legal, turn signal and lights and everything
Old 05-29-2016, 04:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump.. Which way would you guys go if starting from a blank slate
Old 06-03-2016, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott I have been using the Holley HP a bit and it works great. I do not have any hands on experience with the MS3-Pro but it does have my attention and I would like to get my hands on it soon. Seems the MS3-Pro is a little bit more capable than the Holley with inputs/outputs but the Holley is a nice simple system and seems to be working well.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:13 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

If you don't need a million inputs/outputs and your trans is able to control your speedo, I would go Microsquirt. No point in spending an extra $1000+ for the Holley HP to get a ton of features you will never use.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can Microsquirt work with stock gauges?
Old 06-05-2016, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCott5
Can Microsquirt work with stock gauges?
What all are you trying to do? If its a power adder car I'd heavily suggest moving towards the EFI Source MS3x Gold box or MS3-Pro. You will want sequential fuel and sequential spark as well as the extra inputs and outputs. The MS3 boxes will do the sequential fuel/spark as well as control boost and or nitrous and still have extra inputs and outputs for bump box or traction etc.

To revisit the Holley EFI, just had a car on the dyno on Friday evening. One of the two fuel pumps died and it maintained the target AFR the entire run. Starting at 60psi fuel pressure and ending at 22psi fuel pressure at 8lbs of boost. Commanded AFR was 12.1 and it stayed there the entire time. The closed loop works great. Again I know the MS products have closed loop as well I just can't comment on them as I haven't had much experience actually using them. I hope to check them out though.

Quick Reply: Need help, ALOT