Sponsored by:

Flash/Tune new PCM

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash/Tune new PCM

Hey all,

Hey all, I've recently been converted to the world of the LS. How did I ever live without them! So far I've switched over the truck and daily driver to vehicles LS based and I'm now in the midst of converting the race car.

I've managed to source an LS3 but it came from an SUV so having to get rid of the DOD etc. I'm also sourcing a new PCM, harness, throttle body and pedal to bring the build up to snuff.

The one question I have (and my endless searching on the internet etc fails to reveal - probably user error) is about programming a new PCM. My tuner is concerned that it will need to be benched tuned. It sounds like a new PCM has to go through additional steps to a pre-programmed PCM?

Can anyone advise? I assume it has to do with the fact that a virgin PCM has no idea about what vehicle it is etc?

G
Old 08-02-2016, 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If its a brand new E38 ECM it has to be flashed with TIS first before it can be tuned with efi live or hpt tuners.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Is that the GM tool? Any idea how much a place would charge for that?
Old 08-02-2016, 11:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes that's what GM uses. A dealership will charge $100-$150 BUT will require the ECM to be in a vehicle and they will load a 100% stock tune in based off a VIN number. When I need a E38 I buy them from Speartech vs trying to deal with a dealership.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Geico,

We can help you out here at Speartech for your project. We can build you a custom wiring harness and get you a nice foundation tune for your swap. From there your tuner can dial you in! Let us know if have you any questions via phone or email.

Quick Reply: Flash/Tune new PCM