PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all 411 pcms the same? And problems between jumping from hpt to efi live?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default all 411 pcms the same? And problems between jumping from hpt to efi live?

To summarize my story.

A good friend of mine tunes my car. A couple years ago when he started tuning my car he couldn't tune it because it was locked (from what we remember). So he let me borrow his PCM and I've been running it for the past couple years. He needed it back for his car recently. So now it's time to tune my car again.

I haven't dropped my PCM off with him yet because from what we remember it's locked and he said the dealership needed to flash it to stock but I don't have a way to take the car to them. So I called the place that tuned my car before him and they said they've never tuner locked pcms. So my first question is would there be any other reason he couldn't tune it after them? He uses efi live and the use hptuners? I know I have to buy a credit for efi live but would going from one software to the other with out flashing to stock prevent him from tuning it?

Second question is would it just be easier to grab one from the junkyard and let him tune that and not even worry about it. I found a 411 PCM but it's in a v6 truck.

He already has my tune saved for the engine and I'm swapping from t56 to 80e so he'll have to load that info too so can I just grab that PCM for $25 and save a bunch of time and hassle trying to figure out the other PCM?
Old 08-05-2016, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that was confusing for me to read and I wrote it....

Simpler questions. Can you tune a PCM with efi live after being tuned with hptuners without flashing to stock first?

Is a 411 PCM in a v6 Silverado the same 411 PCM that comes in a 02 Fbody just tuned differently?
Old 08-05-2016, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If one tuner brand didn't change the PCM to one of it's custom operation systems then the other brand can edit it assuming it is not tuner locked. All 0411 hardware is the same just with different vehicle calibrations in them. Switching one over could be costly with HPT if you don't have full model year licensed for the different vehicles. With HPT you always have to have a license for what is in the PCM and what you are writing to it. I don't know how EFI Live licensing works when it comes to platform changes on a PCM. And not even a dealer can write to a tuner locked or OS Mod locked PCM.

Quick Reply: all 411 pcms the same? And problems between jumping from hpt to efi live?