PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed Judge Inspection. Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed Judge Inspection. Help needed.

This is for a friend, but will help me later on.
He did a swap. GTO 6.0 into an 86 Cutlass.
Bought the engine on line. Came with a harness and ECU. He failed the inspection for one reason only. Passed the computer part. No Codes.
Judge said the vin on the ecu comes up 2004 and the 6.0 was not available until 2005.
Our question is, can he just use HPTuners to change the vin to a 2005 or 6? Or can you put a 2005 GTO tune on an older ECU. The ECU is a 411 Delphi.
If he does just change the vin number, what will the emissions computer see?

As a side note the current set-up uses a TH400 transmission.

While I was searching, I did see that the 2005-6 use a completely different looking ecu.

Last edited by BigE79Berl; 08-26-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you are not sure exactly what you have. A 05 or 06 LS2 from a GTO had 24x reluctor cranks so you could run one off of a 0411 PCM. You would have to modify the calibration. Although they originally came with E40 PCMs that are completely different. But even a 04 GTO would not have used a 0411 PCM. And HP Tuners will not let you put a different year VIN in a PCM operating system it never came in. Other tuners like EFI Live and Tunercat will.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:35 AM
Teching In

The "engine" came from an 05 GTO. the ECM and harness he bought on line as a "stand alone" and was told it would be flashed to the vin from the car the engine the car came out of. Turns out it was flashed to an 04 ls1 GTO vin. I assumed it was done by HPT software, he says he has no idea what they used.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I can flash any VIN you want to in the ECM but it cant be done with HPT like already mentioned.
Thats pretty crazy, never heard of a place going into an inspection that much looking at the VIN in the pcm on a swap that old.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Teching In

I will know what the rules are for sure in a few weeks. I scheduled a sit down meeting with the "Referee".
Old 08-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
I can flash any VIN you want to in the ECM but it cant be done with HPT like already mentioned.
Thats pretty crazy, never heard of a place going into an inspection that much looking at the VIN in the pcm on a swap that old.
​Since the state expects the engine, computer and all the emissions relate item to come from the same donor vehicle,they would expect the pcm to have the correct VIN for the vehicle the motor came from.
There is already a mis-match between the OS and the VIN since a 2004 GTO OS couldn't be put in a 411 PCM.Some swap guys use GTO VIN's because they use less emission equipment, then F bodies and Corvettes and the referee normally uses the VIN to determine what the donor vehicle was for the swap

Quick Reply: Failed Judge Inspection. Help needed.