PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade to V2 or go HPT or ???

Old 09-24-2016, 11:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Upgrade to V2 or go HPT or ???

I am finally beginning to get serious about tuning the tranny on our G8. Only thing is, I have EFILive V1 and that won't work on the G8.

The upgrade to V2 is about $400. For another $100 or so, I could go to HPT, which would give me capability for tuning my sons' V6 cars as well as the G8. I also understand that they continue to do development on the LS1B PCM, whereas EFILive has abandoned it. But I'm accustomed to EFILive and really not too excited about starting all over again with a different GUI and new terminology. With either V2 or HPT I'd order an email tune from a tuner.

Another option would be a handheld that already comes with canned tunes. Diablosport's latest version is pretty nice. $400 again, but I don't need to pay additional for the tune. But I'm limited to what they have and don't have the flexibility to change stuff on my own. I don't have plans to do a lot with this car anyway - at least at this point. Just want to fix the crappy shifts.

Or I could do a mail order but this would require dropping the pan to pull the TCM which I really don't want to do. Fill procedure and so on is a different deal on these cars.

Advice?
Old 09-25-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

the GUI between the two is pretty similar. I am most versed in HPT, but I picked up on tuning with EFIL very quickly.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have both. I rarely use EFI live. HP is much more capable in so many areas. That ia my .02 of course.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kind of in the same boat. I Have EFI Live, and I'm familiar with it. HP seems to have better support. I'm sitting on the cash for HP PRO, but I'm still waiting to pull the trigger................
Old 10-05-2016, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
I have both. I rarely use EFI live. HP is much more capable in so many areas. That ia my .02 of course.
Thats not exactly accurate, they are both pretty equal on the older stuff. On the new DI stuff EPT is a head for sure. I sell and use both of them everyday, in the end neither software will be holding someone back, it will be there own lack of knowledge. (not directed at anyone)

Originally Posted by AeroSS
I'm kind of in the same boat. I Have EFI Live, and I'm familiar with it. HP seems to have better support. I'm sitting on the cash for HP PRO, but I'm still waiting to pull the trigger................
I have had great support from both EFI and HPT, they both do an awesome job in that department IMO. If you want HPT Pro let me know, Im right down the road, I could bring you one vs shipping it. Depending on what your wanting to log and what wideband you have you could get by with a HPT standard. You can also sell your EFI Live to offset the cost, they seem to sell pretty fast if its a V2.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was speaking of vehicle support and a few others. In my opinion it is much more capable in the hands of an amateur. I realize EFI has its advantages.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrade to V2 or go HPT or ???