Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this VAT-1 module for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's this VAT-1 module for?

I'm starting to get the wiring harness figured out on my 1957 Chevy Nomad restomod conversion (with LS1/T56 from 2002 fbody). The harness and was modified by the previous owner (7+ years ago) and I removed it and boxed it up when I bought it. The Nomad was never in running condition, so I have no idea if it was wired up right or wrong. So it's been many years now since it's seen the light of day. And I'm starting to examine every aspect of the harness as I determine the routing/installation plan.

The owner wasn't clear if he ever had the stock ECM re-flashed, and mentioned he "worked around the VATS by the way he wired it". And that was 7+ years ago..

This little VAT-1 module is connected to 2 pins on the ECM PLUS a ground wire.

There are no other markings on this module, indicating who makes it (a google search on VAT-1 doesn't yield anything obvious).

So I'm thinking the Previous Owner did NOT get the whole VATS attributes deleted from the ECM, and this is a workaround... (remember this was probably 7 to 9 years ago when this whole LS conversion thing was still emerging).

Green wire goes to RED Bank- Pin #30 "Fuel Enable Control"
Red wire goes to BLUE Bank- Pin #8 "Throttle Position Sensor" (which makes no sense to me).
Black wire goes to Ground

I will send this ECM in for a re-flash anyway...because the new build attributes of the car are now different than where the former owner was going with it. (wheel diameter, rear end ratio, etc) And in reading a few websites of guys who do re-flash services, they all say they completely disable the VATS attributes anyway...so this little module may be unnecessary.

Anyone else ever seen one of these modules? What do they do? Is it necessary if I'm having the VATS attributes removed via a re-flash?

Solving a mystery here...
Old 12-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It supplies the Vats pulse to the pcm since the vehicle is not using a BCM or a VATS module with a resistance key. The vehicle using this tells me the VATS was not removed from the PCM
Old 12-22-2016, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Blue pin 8 is just a +5V reference so it is providing the VAT-1 module with +5V power. Google found it easily.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Painless/764/6...JbAaApAJ8P8HAQ
Old 01-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. I'm just going to get the PCM reflashed and eliminate that VATS altogether.
When I bought this "not yet finished" project, it was like 7 years ago, and I'm just now getting to the point of figuring out the wiring and PCM issues.
Appreciate the help.
Paul

Quick Reply: What's this VAT-1 module for?