PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS-7 conversion knock sensor woes... what now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS-7 conversion knock sensor woes... what now?

LS-7 conversion in to 2003 Z06 and I've been fighting the tune for awhile. Finally found someone (4hrs away) who got it running great. Life was good. Got in vette a few weeks later and felt what seemed like timing was being pulled. Friend of a friend hooked it up to HPTuners and it showed that it was pulling 9.9* of timing anytime TPS was greater than 30% due to knock. No funny engine sounds or anything. Take it back to the guy that put in the motor and he drove the car and with his scanner didn't see any timing pulled. Crazy. So I stop by today and talk to him and he says that on 2 "cold" days drove the vette with no issues. the third "much warmer day" had all the timing being pulled. The motor seems healthy. He checked all the wiring to the knock sensors (these are LS1 style sensors moved to the sides of the block). Every ohm'd out ok. Are these types of knock sensors more sensitive than the later model LS-7 versions? The LS-7 is built and has a fairly large cam. The motor is definitely noisier than my LS-6. What's odd is it doesn't happen every time. Any ideas? Is making them less sensitive prudent? Very frustrated and any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: LS-7 conversion knock sensor woes... what now?