Sponsored by:

Bank 1 running completely rich

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bank 1 running completely rich

Hey guys,

I have been chasing this issue for the past day or so. I took my truck (5.3 swapped Colorado) out for its first drive the other day, and was met with a few codes on the dash.

first code was a P0300. Which is the random misfire code. I also got a P0171, which is the drive side bank is too lean. So I check fuel pressure. Sure as hell, its was right at 59 psi. So I went from that to the spark plugs, I had originally gap them at .055", and I went smaller to .040". I also noticed the complete bank on the driver side seemed fouled. Seems like they are running very rich. The passenger side looks brand new. When the truck is driving, it sometimes runs great, but it mostly has trouble at 2500-3k.It breaks up bad, and sounds like absolute ****. Is their anything else that could be causing this issue?

I figure the next bet is to check the driver side 02 sensor with the parts store scanner. (if their scanner allows it.) I wanna see the data to insure that it is bad.

The engine is otherwise stock minus a mild cam and stall. (212/218 113 lsa) and 2800 rpm, and ls6 valve springs.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Teching In

It might be easier to swap o2 sensors from side to side if you think that's the problem.

Have you done anything to the harness?
Old 02-24-2017, 12:51 PM
Teching In

I have not swapped them. But I will see what will happen if I do. My harness is suppose to be plug and play so I did not change anything on the harness.

EDIT:
Picture of o2 sensor:

The spark plugs look much the same.

EDIT EDIT:

I cooled the engine down, started it back up and hit with carb cleaner. No change in rpm. So I suppose it is not a vaccum leak.I hit all the runners on the side, the brake booster, pcv valve. I then hooked up my dads old timing light, and I sure have spark on one of the coils. so next ill check compression. hope this isn't the issue.

Could this be a tuning problem? I am thinking about contacting the local tuner, because idk what is on the computer in terms of a tune.

Last edited by flyer123; 02-24-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

You have at least one (probably just one) cylinder misfiring. The unburned oxygen makes the o2 sensors tell the computer to add fuel. You then get every cylinder on that bank running rich as hell, in addition to a misfire. I don't know why you have a cylinder down, but I do know it will take the rest of them with it if you don't find the problem. Try to find an infrared thermometer or something equivalent to see which exhaust port is cold. This will narrow your search.
edit-- The most common cause I have seen for this is a faulty plug wire.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gametech
You have at least one (probably just one) cylinder misfiring. The unburned oxygen makes the o2 sensors tell the computer to add fuel. You then get every cylinder on that bank running rich as hell, in addition to a misfire. I don't know why you have a cylinder down, but I do know it will take the rest of them with it if you don't find the problem. Try to find an infrared thermometer or something equivalent to see which exhaust port is cold. This will narrow your search.
edit-- The most common cause I have seen for this is a faulty plug wire.
I checked all the wires and they seem to be fine. on the 2000 ohm setting they all read the same (850-904 ohms). even the apparent good ones. So imma go through its coil tomorrow and put it on a light to see if it is getting spark. Other than that, I don't think there is much I can do with out some sort of computer/scan tool to read what is going on with the fuel trim.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Leakdown test time.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Leakdown test time.
Yeah I am gonna test the compression tomorrow. I don't have a leak down tester. I suspect that because I changed the valve springs to accommodate the cam , maybe did something that is not allowing the valves to close all of the way. who knows.

My little project might have become an ad on craigslist. I am not ripping into to this bad boy again lol
Old 02-25-2017, 01:05 AM
Teching In

all the fuses are good? Gotta start with the simple stuff.

-verify each cylinder is getting spark - pull a wire, install a loose plug against the head and turn the engine over (fuel injectors disconnected)
-verify power is getting to each injector/coil
-verify grounds at the back of the left head
-all other sensors are plugged in?
-etc etc
Old 02-25-2017, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by travisn
all the fuses are good? Gotta start with the simple stuff.

-verify each cylinder is getting spark - pull a wire, install a loose plug against the head and turn the engine over (fuel injectors disconnected)
-verify power is getting to each injector/coil
-verify grounds at the back of the left head
-all other sensors are plugged in?
-etc etc
yeah I am going to re go through the simple **** tomorrow. I am interested to know the compression because I was gonna throw a 100 shot at it.

But here is something: Being my first LS build, I have a ground on the coil bracket that sits on the valve cover. Could that be an issue? I thought about it, but my reasoning is that they are bolted metal to metal, and should send ground to the head. There is not much room in the rear of the head (head to fire wall) so ill see what I can do tomorrow. Maybe ground it to the block somewhere?
Old 02-25-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by flyer123
yeah I am going to re go through the simple **** tomorrow. I am interested to know the compression because I was gonna throw a 100 shot at it.

But here is something: Being my first LS build, I have a ground on the coil bracket that sits on the valve cover. Could that be an issue? I thought about it, but my reasoning is that they are bolted metal to metal, and should send ground to the head. There is not much room in the rear of the head (head to fire wall) so ill see what I can do tomorrow. Maybe ground it to the block somewhere?
That could easily be it. The valve cover is insulated from the motor by the gasket. Best ground is to the cylinder head. That's where the factory harness grounds.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could the 02 banks be flip flopped?
Old 02-25-2017, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
That could easily be it. The valve cover is insulated from the motor by the gasket. Best ground is to the cylinder head. That's where the factory harness grounds.
Ok so I put the ground to the rear, managed to squeeze it back there, but throws a code still. So I am going to continue on with the little list above. maybe ill figure it out.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could just be a bad O2 sensor. I've seen many that just get stuck at a low voltage and drive the fuel trims high on the bank they are on. Easiest test you can do is just swap L&R O2s and see if the problem moves to the opposite bank. You need a scan tool that will show O2 sensor voltages and fuel trims while running.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Could just be a bad O2 sensor. I've seen many that just get stuck at a low voltage and drive the fuel trims high on the bank they are on. Easiest test you can do is just swap L&R O2s and see if the problem moves to the opposite bank. You need a scan tool that will show O2 sensor voltages and fuel trims while running.
I will do this next after I clean it off. It will be hard telling which side is causing the issue with out the scan tool. Suck because I can not get these 02 sensors anywhere. I have to wait like 3 days to get them :O anyway, I tested each coil with a sparkplug jammed against the head and well, they all have spark.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

In the absence of a scan tool just let it idle for 10-15 minutes and pull a plug from bank 2. It doesn't take long to soot up plugs with a bad O2 stuck low and pegged fuel trims. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes after you swap O2s to reset the fuel trims.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
In the absence of a scan tool just let it idle for 10-15 minutes and pull a plug from bank 2. It doesn't take long to soot up plugs with a bad O2 stuck low and pegged fuel trims. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes after you swap O2s to reset the fuel trims.
Ok cool i was wondering how swapping the 02 sensor would help see if they are still miss firing. I figured i would get the same code. But now that i know, ill take the truck out for a little drive around the block to see if i cant get them things nice and dirty.

EDIT: Ok i swapped them out, and it through a code, it ran and heated up a bit and went away. I drove it for about 15 mins, and it seemed ok. I never exceed 4500, but the trans stopped shifting mid drive. so, idk what is up with that haha. always something

EDIT EDIT: Went back out to the truck and got the P0300. Gonna wait for it to cool down again and see what is going on with the plugs. I also got a P0131 again. So something is up. I then picked up two more codes: U0001 and U2100 which might point to the trans issue. IDK, this thing is one problem after another.

Last edited by flyer123; 02-26-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Without problems you wouldn't learn anything.

Keep diggin.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

P0131 Is B1S1 Low Voltage. The problem is not the O2 since you got that after swapping them. What year is the 5.3 and PCM?
Old 02-26-2017, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by travisn
Without problems you wouldn't learn anything.

Keep diggin.
Oh yeah it always keeps me on my toes.

The engine is a 03 flex fuel, and the PCM is from a 06 trailblazer SS. I think that code might come from the miss fires. I am gonna check the compression on the cylinders. I tried the other day, but the parts store gave me some junk that was made for 4 cylinders and stuff. Made it almost impossible to get the line on because I had to twist the entire line, I could not get a good seal and blew air out of the cylinder. I am gonna rule out (or in) that something could be majorly wrong. I am also going to replace the plugs on that side. They look bad haha, so I don't think they will help the cause

Last edited by flyer123; 02-26-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by flyer123
The engine is a 03 flex fuel, and the PCM is from a 06 trailblazer SS.
That is an odd combination running a LS2 E40 PCM with a 03 5.3L FF. Guessing it was tuned for the 5.3L? There are definately some things that are going to be mismatched.

Quick Reply: Bank 1 running completely rich