Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring

has anyone heard of installing a 480 ohm resistor inline with the exciter wire from the ignition for the alternator? 04 GTO ls1 apparently has a different alternator connector than most LS1's. i'm trying to figure out why my engine fires up then dies. i was told to do put the resistor inline by the guy who i got the engine from. he cut down the harness and flashed the computer. he's supposed to help me get it running but isn't available for a week. i don't want to wait that
Old 05-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

yes, i did it on a swap a few years ago. burned up an alterntor before I found out about it.

Google it and you'll find it on one of the swap boards if not here.

Not sure that's your no run problem though, mine ran fine with or without it.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:43 AM
Teching In

one more thing, before i got the connector for the alternator and hooked it up, the engine would fire but not run. i was told the computer didn't see voltage from the alt, my dakota digital voltage gage read 12V, normal, when i got the connector for the alt and hooked it up as i previously mentioned, exciter wire with resistor and the other lead directly to the battery, i got the same result, engine would fire but not run but now my voltage gage is pegged high. (>17V). i'm an old school guy, fuel air fire and it should run. this computer monitoring everything has me stumped.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

The alternator hook-up is not required for your engine to run. So you have an issue somewhere else.

Quick Reply: wiring