PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to start? help a newb out :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default where to start? help a newb out :)

Hey everyone!

sorry for the newb post, but this is uncharted territory for me.. working out the details on a LQ4 / 4l80 build for use in a bmw. I have an 01 lq4 and 4l80e both of which need a rebuild. so that's first chore. while I'm working on that, I need to plot out what fuel injection / transmission controller I'm going to use. since ive got skill on tap and not so much money, I plan to use oem everything, modified to work with my combo. I am not a newb to instrumentation, nor a scanner or computer. just never a custom installation / tune.

So I'll start with what I want, I want 500hp+ via forced induction.. I want a small single turbo with intercooler. I want to have a display that reads like the mt2500

for interfaces to peek into the pcm I have a strap-on mt2500, linux, windows, and chrome os laptop, using a "dump" usb -> obd2 connector I prefer to use the Linux machine due to the availability of free software that actually works.. the windows laptop is the beater.. used only when I have to..

what I want is a "hands on" reader writer that is simple, just readouts of raw sensor data, and a simple user interface, that's cheap or free on the Linux platform. or chrome / android, windows (if I have to)

so whats out there for grassroots stuff? there has to be something.. if not whats the cheapest editor out there?
Old 09-02-2017, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

you're adding a lot of salsa on these tacos man.

KISS- keep it simple stupid.

Buy HPtuners.. use a regular *** laptop, no linux, no mac, just regular laptop with basic windows OS. Use stock oem controllers for trans and engine. That is all. Good to go.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Teching In

well like I said, I'll use the crap windows if I have to. but I really want to see whats out there for linux stuff, the reason I think linux is a better platform, is because what I've found is it supports can bus protocols right out the box. I've played with ROM RAIDER, which is an open source subaru / bmw editor, subaru free ssm (subaru editor) both of which are open code linux programs, that are free, user supported and improved, and work well.. so hp tuners is out there, not horribly expensive, when the time comes if I've found nothing else, I suppose that's what I'll use..
Old 09-04-2017, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,222 Likes on 2,514 Posts

You gotta understand EFI Live and HPtuners have to sell to an audience that has the most widespread OS out there, and Linux ain't it. Windows is by far the most popular, so it is catered to.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Teching In

quite true.. I stumbled on another free open code program called ingenuity, going to give it a try... nothing to loose...
Old 09-04-2017, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

i saw an arduino based engine management system making the rounds but i dont think it could do transmission control. still a neat idea.

Quick Reply: where to start? help a newb out :)