PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Tuning Advise… installing cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017 | 12:38 PM
Teching In

Default Tuning Advise… installing cam

Need to replace balancer so decided to install cam (224/230 .550 on 111+2 LSA). Otherwise stock LS1 including exhaust manifolds. 110k miles and primarily HPDE car.

I’m debating tuning method… originally was thinking MAF and VE by trims adding some extra in the top end to be safe. But now I’m thinking should do wideband.

With cam only, stock exhaust… you think trims are acceptable tuning method for the track?

For WB, I am thinking LC-2 temporary install into front O2 using battery pos and neg posts with maybe a switch. Good plan?

Or do a mail order tune for simplicity? Don’t want to pay for dyno/street tune yet as I likely will add heads/headers later. And I'd want it to be open tune since I like to tinker, especially with E mix.
Old 11-17-2017 | 04:18 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

I never think trims are a good idea and guessing at top end.

Wideband, installed right, and be done with it. Unless you like to create problems for yourself, why not do it right? You know the old saying, never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it twice?
Old 11-18-2017 | 12:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rpturbo
I never think trims are a good idea and guessing at top end.

Wideband, installed right, and be done with it. Unless you like to create problems for yourself, why not do it right? You know the old saying, never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it twice?
I agree. I have stock manifolds and never wired a WB before. Thinking to tune in OL with WB in front O2, then replace NB when done.

Could I just use battery pos and neg with a switch and AC pressure 0-5v... seems very simple this way?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-19-2017 | 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Yes u can do that or wire power from cig lighter.
Old 11-21-2017 | 01:25 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Yep, I agree with that.
Old 11-22-2017 | 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by JoshBoody
I agree. I have stock manifolds and never wired a WB before. Thinking to tune in OL with WB in front O2, then replace NB when done.

Could I just use battery pos and neg with a switch and AC pressure 0-5v... seems very simple this way?

Thanks for the feedback!
If you want a little extra peace of mind, after your tune is done, switch banks with your wideband for a double check. This will let you know if anything is off with your fuel distribution bank to bank. A plug reading would be better, but switching one oxygen sensor is a lot easier than pulling a bunch of hot plugs directly after a WOT run.
Old 11-26-2017 | 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

just get a good custom tune. Or learn how to tune it yourself.

Quick Reply: Tuning Advise… installing cam