Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/6 Surging and Bucking

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1/6 Surging and Bucking

It runs well at high RPM, but it very difficult to drive in traffic. Under 1600 RPM it surges and bucks. This means that I've got to slip the clutch and rev the engine to smooth it out.

It is throttle by cable. It has a FAST 92mm intake and throttle body, headers, 2.5" exhaust w/cross-over, McCleod 2nd stage 12" clutch&pressure plate, aluminum flywheel. It has a Howard ASA Cam. It currently makes 384WHP.

It started out as an Ls1, but has LS6 ported heads. The problem started with mild surging when the Howard cam was installed replacing the stock LS6 cam, but was much worse after the Fast intake was installed and the engine was retuned.

I am thinking it needs to be street tuned. Can this be done with a Dynojet with the ability to vary the load on the engine (not sure what it's called), or do I really have to do this on the street.

On the Dyno Sheet, The red line is from 2014, after the Howard cam was installed. The blue line is as the car is currently tuned, after the LS6 heads, Fast intake and 42lb injectors were installed. All of this work was done by the previous owner.
Attached Thumbnails LS1/6 Surging and Bucking-scan018.jpg  

Last edited by johntorg; 11-30-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just there with my truck. Most frustrating thing in the world. The tires would actually lock up and slide and then the engine would surge. It was all in the tuning. Took months to work out.

I did have a FAST intake on my truck. The LSXRT. A lot of my problems went away when I got rid of that intake. It would stall like crazy. Regret spending money and time on it.

Hope it works out for you.

Quick Reply: LS1/6 Surging and Bucking