Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR or Crank Sensor System issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EGR or Crank Sensor System issue

periodically, after flashing my PCM or clearing codes and restarting, engine starts, rough idles and stalls. Starting again with throttle at 85% or more, the engine will run rough, backfire through throttle body, put out white smoke with unburned fuel smell. If I jockey the throttle to keep it running, it suddenly clears and revs quickly. After that, the engine starts, idles and runs fine with no issues.

I've narrowed it down to EGR or Crank Sensor since the EGR sometimes seems to stick, and also I will get an Crank Sensor code which will clear. Anyone seen this before or have ideas on which one it might be?
Old 12-08-2017, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

If it's only doing this after a flash or code clear, it is possibly relearning. Do you reflash/clear codes very often? A past reflash might have compromised a file required for starting
Old 12-08-2017, 08:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by squared
periodically, after flashing my PCM or clearing codes and restarting, engine starts, rough idles and stalls. Starting again with throttle at 85% or more, the engine will run rough, backfire through throttle body, put out white smoke with unburned fuel smell. If I jockey the throttle to keep it running, it suddenly clears and revs quickly. After that, the engine starts, idles and runs fine with no issues.

I've narrowed it down to EGR or Crank Sensor since the EGR sometimes seems to stick, and also I will get an Crank Sensor code which will clear. Anyone seen this before or have ideas on which one it might be?
This is ABSOLUTELY NOT EGR. EGR is a benign little emissions thing that will never cause any real problem. This could be in the tune, or as you have speculated, it could be the crank sensor.

Quick Reply: EGR or Crank Sensor System issue