Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P59 PCM.......does it work all systems normally

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
If you ran a special patch harness to make it work with a 98 PCM then it's basically setup so that a 60E transmission logic controlled an 80E.

IMO I would ditch that junk and wire the transmission up like it would be in a factory truck/van and then segment swap a true 80E tune into yours so that the control logic is correct entirely and not hacked.
I want to use the newer P59 PCM and my 4L80E. So you're saying set it all up with the truck/van 4L80E transmission wiring?

What about my 1998 wiring harness? Would that just get re-pinned to work properly with the P59. Or are you saying use the truck/van entire wiring harness also?

Also, 20psi boost......

Old 01-13-2018, 03:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I want to use the newer P59 PCM and my 4L80E. So you're saying set it all up with the truck/van 4L80E transmission wiring?

What about my 1998 wiring harness? Would that just get re-pinned to work properly with the P59. Or are you saying use the truck/van entire wiring harness also?

Also, 20psi boost......

IMO to save yourself the trouble I'd give Bill Hillock a ring over at BPAutomotive and get him to set you up with a custom engine/trans harness setup for the P59 PCM along with it being properly wired for the 80E. You can also have him pre-wire the flex fuel sensor and a GM LS9 MAP sensor plug in place of the stock LS1 plug. This will kill two birds with one stone keeping you from having to re-pin your existing harness and fixing your transmission wiring harness all the while giving you a brand new updated PNP harness.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:04 AM
Banned

IMO to save yourself the trouble I'd give Bill Hillock a ring over at BPAutomotive and get him to set you up with a custom engine/trans harness setup for the P59 PCM along with it being properly wired for the 80E. You can also have him pre-wire the flex fuel sensor and a GM LS9 MAP sensor plug in place of the stock LS1 plug. This will kill two birds with one stone keeping you from having to re-pin your existing harness and fixing your transmission wiring harness all the while giving you a brand new updated PNP harness.
Awesome James, thanks. So if Bill Hillock does this for me, will I simply remove my wiring harness....install his complete wiring harness and install the wiring for the 4L80E...and install the PCM.

Plug it all together.......then start the engine and begin the normal tuning process?

This would be awesome. I'll ask him......thanks.

Also...I answered your PM.....this post answered all those questions......

Last edited by LS6427; 01-13-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome James, thanks. So if Bill Hillock does this for me, will I simply remove my wiring harness....install his complete wiring harness and install the wiring for the 4L80E...and install the PCM.

Plug it all together.......then start the engine and begin the normal tuning process?

This would be awesome. I'll ask him......thanks.

Also...I answered your PM.....this post answered all those questions......

Yep you can remove your stock 98 harness, 80E adapter harness and PCM and sell those items to recoup some money.

He can get you a harness with your additional requirements (Flex Fuel, LS9 MAP) and prewire it correctly for the 80E so that it all plugs right in and ready for your tuner to tune.

Now the P59 I'm sure he can get as well but he generally only does stock flashes on those to get something up and going and leaves any tuning to the tuner.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

+1 for Bill @ BP Automotive!! His harness fits like factory .
Old 01-13-2018, 04:48 PM
Banned

Yep you can remove your stock 98 harness, 80E adapter harness and PCM and sell those items to recoup some money.

He can get you a harness with your additional requirements (Flex Fuel, LS9 MAP) and prewire it correctly for the 80E so that it all plugs right in and ready for your tuner to tune.

Now the P59 I'm sure he can get as well but he generally only does stock flashes on those to get something up and going and leaves any tuning to the tuner.
Ok cool, I sent him an email already. If he cannot get the P59....can you tell me the exact model/part number I need to find....which year/model vehicle I should get one from? So it has the IAC drivers you mentioned and cable driven throttle capable....

Old 01-21-2018, 09:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Send me your tune file and I'll see if it's an OS I have the stuff swapped into to make work right for ya.

James@ShorTuning.com
Awesome will do!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 476 Likes on 334 Posts

For an old school build (holy **** the p59 was new just a few years ago), that PCM can do almost everything. It can do SD with a real VE table, E85 with a content sensor, 4l80 control with a segment swap, lean cruise with the right OS, and it doesn't have any unusual bugs or hiccups like some of the other PCMs.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a P59 in my 2000 f-body. Fuel gauge seems to work correctly, but the tach is slow very slow to respond. If you smack the throttle the tach barley moves. If you rev the engine and hold it, it will come up to the proper RPM after a little bit. Also the oil pressure gauge works its way to 0 after driving for 10-15 minutes.

Any ideas on how to resolve these issues? Think its something in the tune or a wiring change i need to make?
Old 07-09-2018, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I did the 411 pcm with 2002 Tahoe os and everything seem to work only things that don’t is cruise control and asr and air bag light it’s in my 99 camaro ss trying to get everything work out any idea we pin 56 for the sensor. Also my clutch spring broke could that be why my cruise not working
Old 07-10-2018, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No air bag light for me.

ABS light is on, but that is because i deleted ABS. Others have reported it to work

Tach never needed a pull up resistor. I removed the trans and after i got it back in, it worked how it should.

Every gauge works on the dash and i never moved a wire in the harness. Needed to play with some settings and segments in the PCM to get everything to work.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this mean the 411 in my 02 formula can hold 2 tunes?

Well, at the very least I will be upgrading to a dual tune capable 99-02 0411 PCM......this way I can have a tune for E85 and a tune for 93 octane.

But I'd like to use the P59 for the Flex-Fuel sensor so the tuning is easier.

But man....I don't want to lose my gas gauge.

can my 02 formula 0411 hold 2 tunes?
Old 12-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI, for people with 98's, there are 2 different ways to make your stock fuel gauge work independent of your PCM. Look for a 97/98 S10(primarily 4 cylinders). They used a fuel gauge buffer module that will convert your 33-250 ohm sender into a 0-90 ohm gauge signal. Or speedway motors(and I believe dakota digital) make a module that you can program full and empty for both your sender and gauge, and it will convert it over to make whatever sender operate your factory fuel gauge. This problem happens with 98-00 obs truck's, and these work-arounds were found.

Quick Reply: P59 PCM.......does it work all systems normally