Sponsored by:

How To Microsquirt your LS Engine: Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How To Microsquirt your LS Engine: Video

Hey everyone,

I recently built a Microsquirt setup for my friend's 1967 Chevy C10 and decided to video tape the process and make a quick tutorial for you! The micro is such a good ls swap item I can't believe more people don't use them.

The microsquirt is a really cool little unit. It's a bit different than a stock GM ECU because it runs batchfire, meaning it fires 4 injectors (2 on each rail) at once. It also runs wasted spark which means it fires two coils at once (one on the exhaust stroke). It does these two seemingly odd things to save circuit board temperature and space. This is not the MOST modern efi technology but it still works really well. You will sacrafice a little fuel mileage with this setup but it's minimal at most.

The micro has a ton of advantages over a stock gm ecu; it's cheap (less than $400 with harness), small, easily tunable, will teach you everything you need to know about efi, doesn't use an ugly MAF sensor, has free software to tune with (the ultra version is $90), and also has a lot of great troubleshooting functions (you can fire coils, injectors etc. from your laptop).

If you run an automatic transmission then you will need a transmission controller. In this case, it may make more sense to use the factory GM harness and computer.

This video is a quick how to on a microsquirt LS setup. I'm sure I've missed some details. I haven't gone into tuning at all because I don't want to claim to be some amazing tuner; I'm still learning that part of this too. If you use my basic settings your engine should fire up and from there, you can tweak it. With some basic research online you can get to the same level I'm at where your car runs great and makes good power! The key tool is a wideband O2 sensor that feedsback into your micro. The autotune function in the Ultra version of tuner studio works great when you're just getting your car setup and building a base map.
Let me know if you have any questions or feedback! Thank you very much to everyone who has subscribed my channel. I am going to start a video build series on my Camaro very soon, I just haven't been doing anything too interesting to it yet. I am also thinking about doing a video on a 10 bolt blazer rear disk conversion. Would you guys be interested in that?

Old 02-06-2018, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 743 Likes on 403 Posts

Cool video. Im looking into webinars or a course like this with the Holley dominator. Its ALL new to me and alil intimidating
Old 02-07-2018, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, no reason to be intimidated! If you can understand the tuning conceptually then all of the settings will begin to make sense to you, it just takes time. What are you having trouble with?
Old 02-10-2018, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Cool video. Im looking into webinars or a course like this with the Holley dominator. Its ALL new to me and alil intimidating
Holley offers tuning courses at their home location. I believe they are $100 or something now each and WELL worth it, but you need to have your head wrapped around the basics first for sure.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the ms3 fire the injectors and could the same or does it have individual drivers for each injector and coil
Old 02-10-2018, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

The ms3 doesnt batch fire ans has individual drivers
Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Heres a quick video on why I used the micro and not the stock gm ECU. The video is of me building a harness in the background. Enjoy

Quick Reply: How To Microsquirt your LS Engine: Video