PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning or trans going bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning or trans going bad

my 4l60e shifts fine around town but when I get on the freeway for a little while and then get off and come to a stop the car wants to shift at a higher rpm. About 2000 rpm higher. Now if I pull off the road .. turn it off then start the car back up and keep traveling, it will now go back to normal and shift fine. please help, it's driving me crazy. I don't know if the guy that did my tune messed up or is it something else.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

that doesnt sound like a tune issue. ask in the transmission forum too.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

Also, hook a scanner to the vehicle and see if there are any codes stored.

NO! I don't care if your "Check Engine" light, or "SES" light is NOT ILLUMINATED. You STILL need to plug a scanner in and check for codes. This might shock, and surprise, you.... There can be codes stored WITHOUT any warning lights on the dash

The fact that you can shut it off, and restart it, and the problem goes away tells us that this *potentially* is on the controls side.

If you have a scanner that will show data, hook it up and drive around until the car starts presenting the issue and then watch your data stream to see if the computer is commanding the late shift, and the trans is just following orders, OR, if the computer is commanding the gear shift and then the trans is delaying in following the order. This little test will put you right directly on top of the problem.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:43 PM

thanks so much for the input. I will try to get it back out on the road as soon as soon as it stops snowing.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Have u checked trans fluid to see if its burnt? Speedo work correctly? Throttle position working?

Trans could be getting hot and acting up. Has engine been running hotter than usual?? Who tuned it?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:06 AM
Teching In

that sounds like the abuse mode. check you setting and see if they match your issue.