Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fans always on

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fans always on

Hey need some help with my 02 ws6 cooling fan . So my car just started doing this but when i start car both coolong fans turn on and run constant until i shut car off. Checked relays and switched them with other relays and same thing. Temp guage reads fine and i tested resistance on temp sensor and seems normal. A/C is off and there is no check engine light on and it does work. Need help what wpuld cause the fans to run constant?
Old 04-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Launching!

I may be mistaken, but, i believe those cars have two separate coolant sensors. one for the gauge, and the other for the PCM(which controls you fan).

Have you hooked up a diagnostics tool to see what temp the ecm is reading?
Old 04-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Previous post is right, it doesn’t matter what the resistance of the ECT is, what matters is what voltage the ECM sees. You can backprobe the ECM connector, OR you can look at general scan tool data. If the relay is operating properly my next step is to view data from any module capable of commanding it on. You could be chasing your tail otherwise. If the ECM thinks thinks the defrost is on the cooling fan may kick on.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A ECT or Knock sensor DTC cause the cooling fans to run all the time. Check if you have codes.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I read on EFI Live forum that the AC pressure switch can cause fans to run as you describe.

Is the electric plug connection to the pressure switch loose or disconnected? Or perhaps you need a new pressure switch. Inexpensive and easy to remove and replace.

I would also as a test - disconnect the temp sensor on the radiator. Been a long time ago, but I recall I had a similar issue. Went away when I installed a new sensor. Just unplug it and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 04-09-2018 at 04:00 PM.