Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning the basics

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Learning the basics

I got an HP tuner MPVI with the Whipple for my 2016 Silverado 5.3. A reputable tuner is working to improve the Whipple tune via online data logging. I’d like to learn about programming the E92 controller starting from scratch; terminology, tables, VVE, torque control, all that. Having a hard time finding a one-stop-shopping source. Not really ready to jump into the HP tuner Gen 5 course without first understanding the basics.
Any suggestions for literature explaining what’s involved in making these things work?
Old 04-11-2018, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the The Tuning School website. I have all the GM series (gen3/4/5) and they are great. The books are move a guide on what to do more so then explaining every single table though. Ed Mowtons ERM Performance course is also excellent and cheaper but be prepared to get knowledge dumped bc its extremely in depth. You could always look up threads on here and the HP tuners forums but the problem is finding specific threads organized is pretty hard. goodluck!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. According to ERM website they don't have Gen 5 material yet. I've been chipping away at learning but sure would like to be able to see the whole picture. For example, I'm interested at speeding up throttle response and found threads about modifying (very carefully) the driver demand table. Makes sense. Then other threads that said reducing cam retard at lower rpm's worked better. Maybe. Who knows what else there is.