Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12v+ Power only when engine is actually running

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v+ Power only when engine is actually running

Does anyone know if there is a circuit that can be used to tell when the vehicle is actually running? I am trying to wire in a safety mechanism to avoid cranking while the engine is running.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2018, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by toeffer777
Does anyone know if there is a circuit that can be used to tell when the vehicle is actually running? I am trying to wire in a safety mechanism to avoid cranking while the engine is running.

Thanks in advance!
Uh, yeah. The ignition circuits are all live, the alternator is charging, the dash instruments should be indicating various conditions. PLUS there are your ears. Take your pick....
Old 04-25-2018, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Uh, yeah. The ignition circuits are all live, the alternator is charging, the dash instruments should be indicating various conditions. PLUS there are your ears. Take your pick....
Ignition circuits are all live when the vehicle is not running but key is in on position, so thats not an option.

Alternator charging could be an option if I found some sort of switch that could engage only over 12.6 volts, but I don't know if something like that exists.

Obviously I can't wire my ear into the car.

Thanks!