PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Differences - 411 vs 896 - Functionally The Same??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts
Default PCM Differences - 411 vs 896 - Functionally The Same??

Hello,

I posted this question here and on the HP Tuners site a few days ago but the post here must have gotten lost. So here it goes again and no answers over there yet either.

Hello,

I find many more 411 powertrain control modules in the junk yards than 896 PCM boxes. Are they functionally the same? Would my current highly functional tune in my 896 PCM work in a 411 PCM without difficulty - other than credits required????

I already have a backup 896 PCM but I'm considering the purchase of a 411 for cheap.

Many thanks,

Rick
Old 05-25-2018, 07:52 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Hello,

I posted this question here and on the HP Tuners site a few days ago but the post here must have gotten lost. So here it goes again and no answers over there yet either.

Hello,

I find many more 411 powertrain control modules in the junk yards than 896 PCM boxes. Are they functionally the same? Would my current highly functional tune in my 896 PCM work in a 411 PCM without difficulty - other than credits required????

I already have a backup 896 PCM but I'm considering the purchase of a 411 for cheap.

Many thanks,

Rick
First off, you posted this in the Gen III Internals section. This section is for discussions about engine INTERNAL parts, like crankshaft, pistons, and valve train. PCM discussions do not belong here.

Second, your original post is in the General LSX Automobile section. Still, IMO not the best section to post the question. There is a PCM Diagnostics & Tuning section which IMO would be the most appropriate. I’ll move this question there, but please try to post in the appropriate sections in the future.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

898 and 411 are interchangeable 99% of the time. We have never seen any benefit in switching.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

OK, thanks. That answers it for me and sorry for the confusion on the posting location.

Rick
Old 05-25-2018, 11:45 AM
07V
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To delve a little deeper, the 411 is just a superceding part to the 896. It has very slightly more memory. It would help with things like logging, because they have faster baud rates(someone please correct me if baud is not the correct unit here). Basically it will poll for information more often because if has more memory.

They are functionally identical. You can pull a tune from a 411 and put it on a 896 and visa versa. The only reason to “upgrade” would be if your current one eats it and you want to have very slightly higher refresh rates.

Its like the the difference between an iPhone 7 and an iPhone 8. The insides are a little tiny bit different, so one is very slightly faster, but overall they’re the same. What works on one will work on the other and visa versa.