Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another + For HPTuners

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Another + For HPTuners

A PCM that was tuned by Ed Wright that LS1edit will not open, I am able to open just fine with HPTuners. I do have the Pro version though. Don't know if that makes a difference.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:15 PM

Probably not make a difference.

Be careful the data is not scrambled, though. I'd verify everything makes sense.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go ahead and edit the file and upload it back to the PCM ... Don't be surprised when the car acts weird Ed moves things around in there LS1Edit will refuse to load the file if it doesn't know the exact layout of the file - which is a good thing. If HP Tuners doesn't, that would be a bad thing. At the very least, a warning should be displayed or possibly even prevent the user from saving the file. Depending on how things are moved around, you could really cause some damage.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

So far all I've done is read, save, and open it to see if I could. LS1edit read it OK, but when I tried to open it, it displays "Unknown PCM, could be a tuner". Does not display any segments or VIN. It does display the Pontiac Broadcast Code ID = DJZX. HPTuners shows the VIN, BCC, all the ID#s, checksums, and Tuner Lock Status - unlocked.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
So far all I've done is read, save, and open it to see if I could. LS1edit read it OK, but when I tried to open it, it displays "Unknown PCM, could be a tuner". Does not display any segments or VIN. It does display the Pontiac Broadcast Code ID = DJZX. HPTuners shows the VIN, BCC, all the ID#s, checksums, and Tuner Lock Status - unlocked.
That is a postive for LS1edit, not a negative.
Tuner hackers using nothing more then a hex editor also can move things around in offset addresses and you would never even know it.
Your always better off if you even think its not a valid stock flash is to force reflash the PCM and start fresh.

The word LOCK is being openly used when some have changed the GM seed code and thus is locked and even GM cannot do updates to the PCM, some hacker tuners to screw up like LS1edit have changed the broadcast code or CRC to an invalid one so that LS1edit is checking the B.C to the M.Y, if it does not match then it will not allow it to be edited.

With the stupid process carputiing does ( to make sure your not tuning another PCM then what you paid them for) , is if GM comes out with a new PCM patch or update for your MY and it now has a new BC and your version of LS1edit does not know that BC it thinks its a hacked flash when it is just a valid new BC and thus LS1edit cannot edit it.

Good example is GM has a recall on C5 for column lock, for the MN6 C5 they are doing a PCM patch to fix the problem but now older then version 1.4T LS1edit cannot edit that flash due to the new BC, thus only 1.4T and newer can but every time GM does new code/BC then your LS1edit will again not work for that PCM.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:45 PM

That sucks.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brains
Go ahead and edit the file and upload it back to the PCM ... Don't be surprised when the car acts weird Ed moves things around in there LS1Edit will refuse to load the file if it doesn't know the exact layout of the file - which is a good thing. If HP Tuners doesn't, that would be a bad thing. At the very least, a warning should be displayed or possibly even prevent the user from saving the file. Depending on how things are moved around, you could really cause some damage.
Then there are these guys that say you can read and rewrite Ed's programs with no trouble at all.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/188342-running-lean-dyno-dyno-graph-inside.html