Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge Level Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Gauge Level Sensor Issue

I was close to doing some street tuning with HPTuners and realized in a scan that my IAT sensor wasn't receiving it's 5 volts. I looked back at months worth of logs and noticed the IAT wasn't registering then either.

I am running SD so my MAF is removed. I used the other tan 5v reference from that harness and supplied power to the IAT sensor. I put everything back together and according to my logs, the sensor is working perfectly.

As soon as I figure it's time to tune, I cranked the car and noticed the fuel gauge was showing empty. All before the IAT sensor wire repairs the fuel gauge has been working as normal. I knew for sure I was at 1/4 tank when it failed. Logging the fuel sensors, both sensors are showing 4.98v. IIRC, the 2005-2006 sensors has a different output than the 07+. I hadn't messed with the pins at the connector that the sensor belongs to. I also can't run a jumper off of the pin dedicated to the fuel level senders as the car won't even go to the run position with that connector unplugged.

Any ideas what is going on here or things I can check? I would hate to have to drop the tanks and doubt both sensors went bad at once. this is a 2005 c6 with just short of 50k miles.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried adding gas to the tank? My Camaro would have an issue sometimes where if the tank was low (1/4 tank or a little less) I would go to start it up and it would be in the red. Adding gas would make it go back to normal
Old 08-22-2018, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep. I filled the tank with Shell Premium and added some Techron to top it off. I am going to give it a few more fill ups to see whether I need to drop the tanks in the future. Thanks for the response though!
Old 08-22-2018, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Hopefully you put the Techron in FIRST so it would mix well while filling.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I did add the Techron first. I just haven't had a chance to drive it lately to test. Which is a good thing because I read a lot of suggestions to let the car sit a while to potentially break up deposits on the contacts.

*** for the logs, I was stupidly looking at the 5v reference in my logs instead of ohms. The Ohms are what switches between sensors. I will try to monitor that while I put some more miles on the car to get the gauge working again.