Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NY ODBII Inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NY ODBII Inspection?

Well I got my car pre-scanned and it shows a ton of **** that will make me fail. I have to know what I need to do with Edit to get it to work.

I have removed the EGR, AIR and deleted the rear O2 codes by setting them to :

Error Mode = "X = Turned Off"

And

Does Error Set SES Light = ON (In most cases)

I thought I got all the EGR and AIR codes to be X and ON OR OFF (which is it) but then I found a whole other batch of codes towards the botton of the drop down for my 2000 TA.

Anyone absolutely know what this is and if this will pass a NYS ODBII inspection check? I'm dying here....
Old 07-08-2004, 07:34 AM
11 Second Club

someone has to know this. I did a ton of searching and kept coming up with way too many opinions on what they thought needed to be done.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be very interested in this as well. I dont get any DTC coming up when I check using autotap or HPT scan. Im going to need to pass NYS OBDII inspection in december with !AIR and !rear-O2s.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Teching In

You need to make sure all of your I/M flags have passed and the the ses light isn't on.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

I had four DTC thrown because my car was running too rich and the LTRMS dipped under -15. That has been cleared and edited to lean it out at the lower map intervals through the IFR table. They are now around an average of -6 instead of an average of -13

However, that problem being removed and since I just cleared the DTC's I will still have to do a few drive cycles. Question is how the hell will the PCM change the status to ready for things like EGR and AIR if they are physically not in the car any more??? and the rear O2's

Also I noticed that there is a check box to turn off EGR. Should that be enabled or disabled to get this thing to read it right?

still having a hard time believing that no one in NYS has gone through this...
Old 07-08-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

I do ET tersting in Ga. and we do OBDII testing for 96 up veh.that require testing. If you have "mods" that would usually set of the MIL you need to have the tuning set for EGR/AIR/!deleted cats etc. set to ready but to NOT to report to the MIL(service engine soon) light. In OBDII testing the monitors have to report to ready but as long as they dont set the MIL(malfuntioning indicator lamp). You should be fine. We dont do any visual inspection of Emission componets for 96 up cars/light trucks. Hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks SS Rally Red

So there is MIL type A and B. A seems to throw the lamp and B seems to say don't throw the lamp. Would I need to change all my X's to B's then?? Sounds like the X might not be the way to go to get me to a ready state.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5
still having a hard time believing that no one in NYS has gone through this...
This OBD-II testing is brand-spankin-new to new york state. Infact, we have not even reached the deadline for inspection stations to start OBD-II testing, not by a long shot. You can read up more info on http://www.nysdmv.com/repairshop.htm#NYVIP although I dont think its going to have any specific info that will help you, atleast it may explain why not many people have gone through it yet.

-Tony
Old 07-09-2004, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NYS DMV Website
A vehicle will fail the OBDII test if:

The DLC on the vehicle is broken or gone.
The OBDII malfunction indicator light (MIL) on the vehicle does not illuminate when the ignition is set to the ON position and the engine is not in operation.
The MIL remains illuminated when the engine is in operation.
The OBDII readiness monitors on the vehicle report that the OBDII system is not ready for the test.
From what I am reading, it looks like it the light is off you are okay. So set them to type B, since type X would probably be considered "Not Ready"