PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

General Newbe Question about Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018 | 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Default General Newbe Question about Tuning

I have Fast Ez Efi 2.0, it is working so far, just got engine running, but haven't drove vehicle yet, other stuff to do first.
So my Question is, does I'll just say HP tuning or whoever, I know there are others, have any advantages over
the self learning setup? Can you get more Power out of HP turners? The Fast is idiot proof, Almost, it ask what AFR I want at Idol, at cruise, at WOT.
What RPM I want it to idol at, and of course all the general BS, injector info, reluctor wheel count, fuel pressure Blah Blah Blah
Now I think it is a waste spark and fuel setup, not for sure but looking at wiring diagram it looks like it, could that
be a disadvantage? or not really matter? I am Ignorant with the Tuning stuff but pushing those buttons on that
little touchscreen has got my Interest peaked about it. If anybody with experience would like to
share their thoughts I would appreciate.
Old 09-07-2018 | 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd let it build its own conservative, safe and dependable tune first . . . then consider making changes using other methods. Allowing this will get your engine started quickly while also not raising doubts about the Fast EFI hardware or installation.

Rick
Old 09-07-2018 | 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

i suppose you get more direct and accurate control over fueling and spark. in the right hands thats a plus....in the wrong hands much worse.

Ive helped a guy with the fast ez efi and it seemed like a pretty nice deal. the wasted spark thing isnt really an issue until really high rpm and even then there are really good coil options to get aroud it
Old 09-08-2018 | 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
I'd let it build its own conservative, safe and dependable tune first . . . then consider making changes using other methods. Allowing this will get your engine started quickly while also not raising doubts about the Fast EFI hardware or installation.

Rick
Yeah thats pretty much the plan, get the pick up going then, start experimenting with tuning.
The install was pretty much plug and play, after reconfiguring the wire harness, I have no clue how
FAST expected their configuration to work in an actual vehicle.
Old 09-08-2018 | 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i suppose you get more direct and accurate control over fueling and spark. in the right hands thats a plus....in the wrong hands much worse.

Ive helped a guy with the fast ez efi and it seemed like a pretty nice deal. the wasted spark thing isnt really an issue until really high rpm and even then there are really good coil options to get aroud it
Oh ok, the more accurate fuel control raises an eyebrow.
Yeah the spark thing threw me for a loop for a couple days, very first fire up of engine, after everything got sorted out (long story), engine sounded weak
then 15 or 20 seconds later engine started popping bad, sounded like gun fire, neighbors coming outside, lady 2 doors down brought her kids in the house no kidding.
To make a long story short, the finned truck coils don't play well with the FAST EZ system, I'm guessing they don't like the wasted spark situation
I don't know, fortunately I had an extra set of coils in the pile and then the engine sounded a lot better and no more gun fire.
After I get this vehicle rolling I'm going to start experimenting with the Tuning and see if the EZ can be manipulated, possibly try another method
of Tuning, who knows. Thanks for the Response Gentlemen.