PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners users heads up

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

The credits are used based off of the OSID so the 02 file would have a diff OSID than the 00. same thing will happen if you ever have that computer factory flashed/updated or have to get another one with a different update. it will ask you to use more credits to license
Old 10-14-2018, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
The credits are used based off of the OSID so the 02 file would have a diff OSID than the 00. same thing will happen if you ever have that computer factory flashed/updated or have to get another one with a different update. it will ask you to use more credits to license
Thanks Mike. Should be based on credits PER CAR rather than based on OSID. I'm guessing it can't be like this because people could lie and say they are working on the same car with different ECMs when actually it's 5+ cars being worked on. This is where engineers need to put their heads together and come up with a solution that doesn't penalize the honest consumer while still ensuring that the software is not being abused by the dishonest consumers.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That is why they offer 3 or 4 different credit use options also though
Old 10-14-2018, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

The credit issue is one of reasons there are almost two dozen people working on creating software to read and write the P01 and P59 pcm as well as creating a data base of definition files for use with programs like tuner pro.

There is no longer any new content or COS's being added for these pcm's but they are still charging the same as if these were current pcm's. Had prices gone down on older pcm's or restrictions been relaxed as they are no longer current I don't think many people including myself would have had any issues.

When a movie is considered a "New Release" stores charge a premium price but as it gets older the movie goes down in value. This is what SHOULD have happened with licensing older pcm's but because it costs as much to license a 1999 pcm now as it did 10 years ago.... people have grown tried of this and that's what's leading to the creation of alternative tools being developed.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That doesnt make much sense.
A hand held for a 99 is the same price as for a 2009 in that respect.

They do have credit turn in setups also where if you use enough individual credits you can have them combined for unlimited x platform...well USED to. Not sure if they still support that or not.

You may not realize but with the Vendor agreement if you purchase the interface from a company they can sell you extra credits at up to 10% off retail i believe instead of $99. Only credits though. Instead of purchasing direct from hpt all the time at normal retail.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
That doesnt make much sense.
A hand held for a 99 is the same price as for a 2009 in that respect.

They do have credit turn in setups also where if you use enough individual credits you can have them combined for unlimited x platform...well USED to. Not sure if they still support that or not.

You may not realize but with the Vendor agreement if you purchase the interface from a company they can sell you extra credits at up to 10% off retail i believe instead of $99. Only credits though. Instead of purchasing direct from hpt all the time at normal retail.
I know it's part of your business to sell credits so I'm not going to drag this out.

Hp tuners chose greed, they have gone relatively unchallenged in years...YEARS. EFI Live shifted the majority of their resource to the Diesel performance market and while they still support gas stuff with a MUCH better licensing system for the end user then HP does it's no longer their focus. Tuner Cats sold out to Jet more then a decade ago so they are no longer any real threat to companies like Hp or Efi Live, however if they had remained avaible to the public it'd be interesting to see where the tuning market would have gone. They proved you don't need to sell a per pcm or per OS license to stay in business....because they are still around and tuning brand new vehicles under the CATS name.

I also don't feel that hand held tuners have ever been in the same class of tuning as products like Hpt, Efi, Cats Ls1 edit etc. People that choose a handheld are only minor changes not full blown tuning.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We dont sell alot of credits and that isnt my dog in this fight so to speak.

There is still custom diablosport and sct tuning as well. Those work very well and offer better interfaces in some aspect than hptuners as they sre pass through handhelds that can also store/work with hptuners.
And efi live brought their passthrough technology to market a while back also. blackbear uses it alot to tune with and works well also. takes very little interaction for the customer also which is simple.

So your reason seems VERY unlikely at all.
You can get custom tunes direct from diablosport also if you ask. There are many options that are all in the same price range. Hpt has the best tuning options out there in my experience for alot of people but some prefer efi live, some that do ford and gm alot prefer sct and some prefer CMR from diablosport. Those are just mainstream optiont not to mention tiny tuner and a few others.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

we dont take kindly to mention of handheld tuners here pardner
Old 10-14-2018, 05:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Ive used quite a few to remote tune things and have some remote tuned. they work well. generic ones...meh.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm just kidding man.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by truckdoug
I'm just kidding man.
I got that part. i would have added a better comment but the snow and strep has me in a Monday kind of mood lol
Old 10-14-2018, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

you gotta fight bacterial infections with a strong antiseptic

since it's in your throat I suggest a nice hot bourbon whiskey, preferably Booker's
Old 10-14-2018, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I have used both EFI live and hpt and both sit in my garage and whenever someone needs a car tuned I recommend EFI live. Licensing and especially the support has been much better in my experience.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by truckdoug
you gotta fight bacterial infections with a strong antiseptic

since it's in your throat I suggest a nice hot bourbon whiskey, preferably Booker's
Wild Turkey is tryin its best. Along with vicks, sana sana, and any other herbal or alternative stuff also.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Efilive decided to keep their platform aussie/new zealand based and got screwed over big time by the currency differences and changed prices quite a bit. Their streams can be pretty expensive also.
They each have their merits.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Currency did screw over EFI live.....just like HPT has been screwing it's customers lately
Old 10-14-2018, 08:09 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I dont have any issues with HPT. They are offering so much as far as tune options now and the ngauge and a few other things. I dont like their mpvi2 or anything past 2.25 so thats what i use.
Its actually just a std unit also so no black box or inputs. i can dial in afr remotely from a scan and video of wideband though to toot my own horn.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have issues with HPT.
1) The new interface is all screwy. Costing me time and money.

2) Promised features never turn up, or when they do they are very buggy (RTT, user defined outputs)

3) They rely on a user based tech support model to educate new customers, but continually milk their experienced users for every penny ---the same folks who are teaching the new customers. It's set up a "why bother" mentality.

4) New model vehicles are ridiculously expensive to license.

I could go on, but it really comes down to this. If they intend to push back against the large automakers intentions to make all onboard diagnostics IP and limit access to it to factory tuning suites, well they need our goodwill. Then need us to push for "right to repair laws"

Right now they are not garnering any goodwill. They are shitting where they eat. Making it hard for professional tuners and amateurs alike to get the features they really want.
The following users liked this post:
Khipset (02-16-2022)
Old 10-14-2018, 10:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

As far as the legislature, maybe you should look at the entire aftermarket instead of pointing the finger right at hpt.

Mapping all the new models/computers does take time and how do you think they log hours there?
Its just like alot of places have to charge more initially if they were to buy a cnc machine for something and then normally bill hrs to the machine also. Its how alot of industries work not just hptuners.

As far as the other features, mine works just fine and does all i need for gen3 and 4 and even 8.1 and a few dirtymaxes.

Im not saying you are wrong, but there are many that dont have such a huge issue with it. 2 points of view.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

absolutely. i'm just stating my opinion on it.