LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   PCM Diagnostics & Tuning (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning-7/)
-   -   Dod delete issue? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/1912450-dod-delete-issue.html)

lstony 12-28-2018 02:51 PM

Dod delete issue?

Ok fellas could use a hand. I dropped a lifter in my 5.3 2010 silverado. I replaced the cam, valley cover, oil pump, and lifters with ls7 lifters. I then brought my truck to a local shop with a dyno to tune out the DOD. When I picked up my truck the tuner stated that he tuned it out and I am good to go. I have noticed that if i accelerate and raise my rpm above say 3500. My truck would then jerk at highway speed intermittently. As if I tapped the brake. The problem went away after key cycle. It's my truck I use to do oilfield sales so I do an extreme amount of highway driving and was reliable so I ignored it thinking it maybe a tuning issue. Well I made the 12hour trip home for Christmas with no issue. Fired the truck up today and its giving me the service stabilitrak reduced engine power like it did the day I fired it after deleting the dod. Seems to be running on 4 cylinders. I'm debating buying hp tuners and tuning it myself or could I have another issue?

G Atsma 12-28-2018 03:05 PM

Deleting DOD is not just a matter of tuning. You also replace the DOD lifters, lifter trays, pushrods, and cam. THEN DOD is deleted.

lstony 12-28-2018 03:36 PM

I did? Is my post not showing up? Used the texas speed kit.

G Atsma 12-28-2018 03:39 PM

Sorry. Mind-fart! Somehow missed the parts part! LOL You're good that way! Must be a tune issue. Sorry for the mixup!

lstony 12-28-2018 03:43 PM

No problem at all. Think I should tune myself?

tech@WS6store 12-28-2018 04:07 PM

Tuning it yourself requires consideration knowledge there.
I seems like a misfire issue for most of it which is common in a vehicle that isnt fully tuned. what cam did you use?

lstony 12-28-2018 04:12 PM

Stoke 3 bolt 5.3 cam

lstony 12-28-2018 04:13 PM

Stock 5.3 cam. I'm confident. I'm not touching fuel tables or timing. Was thinking of raising the temperature of the dod afm so that it never activates during normal operating temperature.

lstony 12-28-2018 04:14 PM

I'm curious if I'll run into any issues tuning behind someone else.

lstony 12-28-2018 05:02 PM

Is there an hp tuners rep on maybe?

tech@WS6store 12-28-2018 07:41 PM

They dont offer tune Support.
You also likely wont find alot lf free Support.
Which 5.3l cam? did you keep the factory 5.3l dod cam? or went to a 5.3l lm7 cam?

lstony 12-28-2018 08:31 PM

It's the cam with the kit from texas speed and performance. There is a dod delete kit on their website. Soooo just buy the hp tuners?

brandon6.0 12-28-2018 08:48 PM

To disable DOD in the tune is as simple as just disabling it in one of the tables. Basicly on or off. Doesnt require a full tune.

Ive tuned alot of trucks with DOD and ive disabled it on just about everyone. Never an issue.

Ive also turned it off for customers tht just hated it goin in 4cyl mode. Didnt touch anything else in the tune.

andy burdess 12-28-2018 10:39 PM

Are you getting any active codes? It’s possible the tuner messed something up without knowing it. If you feel confident in your ability with a laptop buy hp or efi live and take a stab at it. It kind of sounds like he didn’t actually get dod disabled. If you go as far as you have with the full delete there are codes that need to be shut off for the solenoids that control the flow of oil to the dod lifters. If you had codes pulled that might get you closer to figuring it out. Good luck

lstony 12-28-2018 11:48 PM

You guys are awesome. I'll get back to you after I pull the codes and do some more research

rpturbo 12-31-2018 12:08 PM

So based on what you said, I am wondering if it is the lock up in the converter. I wonder if they changed how the lock up % is set. Since you said it stops if you tap the brakes, that is why I am thinking this direction. I have mine basically setup like a on/off switch. When my converter locks up, it feels like another gear, but the factory "slips" it on. Maybe the guy who did the dod delete, changed the % of slip, and now it feels jerky?

May very well be a bad coil pack though. Sometimes it will not show a code. Just had a friend who thought his had a bad transmission, he wouldn't bring it over to hook up my HPT, and took it to Aamco. They threw their scanner on it, and told him cyl #5 was bad. We threw some old 1999 D585 coils I had on it, and it was good. He did not have any codes, and I believe his was also a 2010, or maybe a 2011 I can't remember.