PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes an o2 sensor to go out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes an o2 sensor to go out?

I have hooker longtubes on my car. I have the stock 46k mile o2 sensor in the passenger side header. But on the driver side its been through at least 4. I had a new one put in yesterday and the codes cleared and today the ses light came back on, after only TWELVE miles. They put a tech 2 scanner on it and the passenger side was fluxuating between 400-600 (if i remember correctly) but the driver side started at about 100 then dropped to 0-4 then we took it for a ride and it started to operate in a normal range. Why do I have to keep putting o2 sensors on the driver side but the passenger side is the original one that came with the car? There are also o2 extenders on the car so the wires aren't cut and spliced. The headers are also uncoated. Codes were bad o2 bank 1, random misfire, something about the o2 heater, 1133, 1155. Would a small exhaust leak after the o2 sensor cause it to foul out?
Old 07-10-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDevlLS1
I have hooker longtubes on my car. I have the stock 46k mile o2 sensor in the passenger side header. But on the driver side its been through at least 4. I had a new one put in yesterday and the codes cleared and today the ses light came back on, after only TWELVE miles. They put a tech 2 scanner on it and the passenger side was fluxuating between 400-600 (if i remember correctly) but the driver side started at about 100 then dropped to 0-4 then we took it for a ride and it started to operate in a normal range. Why do I have to keep putting o2 sensors on the driver side but the passenger side is the original one that came with the car? There are also o2 extenders on the car so the wires aren't cut and spliced. The headers are also uncoated. Codes were bad o2 bank 1, random misfire, something about the o2 heater, 1133, 1155. Would a small exhaust leak after the o2 sensor cause it to foul out?

Depending on how far it is from the engine it can report the heater code. Some types of gasket sealer can cause the O2 sensors to fail. When you first put a new one in what are the readings typically until it fails. Do you have any logs we could look at?