Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with LQ4 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with LQ4 misfire

I'm having a very rough time with my '02 2500HD. It likes to misfire on cylinders 2 and 6 usually, but will randomly hit all cylinders under light load. Free revving around 1k and the misfires go nuts. Above that, at all throttle positions, runs like a champ. It will also run between 5 and 10% lean on either bank and any time. I've gone through the injectors, coils, plugs, wires, PCM, O2s. I just did intake gaskets, new exhaust manifolds and gaskets, and cat delete. Fuel pressure is good, holds steady at 59 psi. Air flow sensors are good. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey there,

These mods you listed:

"Intake gasket, exhaust manifolds, cat delete"

Are these the only mods on the engine/exhaust? Is this still running a stock valvetrain/cam?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Yes, my manifolds were cracked. The new ones are OE. I'm using an HP Tuner for all of my tunes. So, that's how I deleted the cats. Valetrain is completely stock.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hard to say, really. Sounds like to me, if everything is OE:

1) Something wasn't torqued to spec, allowing some sort of vacuum leak being pulled in Post-MAF, meaning you're getting more air than the MAF is picking up
2) Have you verified your MAF is in good working order? As you know, a bad MAF sensor or a dirty one will cause misfires.

I'm leaning towards a bad A/F ratio causing your misfires, if everything is stock, with a stock tune.

Also curious... do you know what caused your original manifold to just crack?
Old 04-04-2019, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Sadly, I don't know what caused it to crack. The MAF is in good working order. Honestly, I think I've tracked it down to defective intake gaskets. I'm going to try FelPro Permadry here in about a half hour.