Sponsored by:

Security disabled in tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Security disabled in tune?

Hello,

I'm currently swapping in a 5.3 L33 from a 2005 Silverado into my '82 Chevrolet S10 truck. It's finally assembled and ready to start. When I try to start it, it fires up quickly but immediately dies. I had some trouble with a loose wire at the DBW pedal, but fixing that didn't fix the issue.

I had the PCM mail-order tuned to match my engine specs (stock L33 + Cam Motion spec'd cam, TBSS intake, injectors, 87MM TB, and X-link interface with stock 2005 truck PCM). I asked the tuner to disable security and rear O2 sensors. The plan with this tune was to get it to start and run enough to get it to the tuner for a dyno tune later.

I'm using the stock truck PCM but I don't have a BCM, IPC, etc. so I requested that security be disabled.

The PCM throws two codes -- P0054 (O2 heater failure, bank 1 sensor 2) and P0060 (O2 sensor heater failure, bank 2 sensor 2). I would have thought those would be turned off if rear O2 sensors were disabled.

The start-then-dies seems like security is still enabled. Is there a way to tell without tuning software? My only interface at the moment is a Bluetooth dongle and Torque Pro on my phone.

Thoughts?
Old 04-07-2019, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who did the mail order tune? It sounds like the vats and o2’s were never disabled. O2’s wouldn’t cause the start and die issues just a check engine light. But the vats not being disabled definitely would. Once the vats is disabled there is no need for a bcm
Old 04-14-2019, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Hello,

I'm going to re-confirm fuel pressure (it's a new pump and regulator, so they don't have enough time on them to say they're reliable yet) both at key-on and during cranking.

Would security also disable the fuel pump? I haven't watched fuel pump power while trying to start it (I do hear the pump prime when I turn on the key), but I did try starting it with the relay jumpered so the pump was always powered, and it didn't help. That eliminated the relay and its wiring as a culprit.

Of course, I could also just watch injector power... I'll have to sort out how to tap one of the injector wires and watch it during cranking/firing.

I'm open to any other ideas.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Hello,

I visited my tuner today, and he disabled security and confirmed several other settings to make sure it was configured properly. It worked -- I was able to start it tonight