Sponsored by:

Lean idle creep

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello,

Just a little update:

So it looks like there doesn't exist a drop down to disable it - at least I don't see one anywhere.
Switching all the values to 0 may have worked to disable it, maybe - the problem still persists (lean idle creep)

So, I'm going to go with your suggestion of turning on OL STFT's, and enabling power enrichment at idle - 1200 RPM to fight the surging that might reveal itself.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 07-17-2019, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Okay, so I took a look at some of my old files. I still have my 98 stuff, and there is indeed no drop down to disable the complex model. I even tried applying the 2 BAR to that file to see if it added it as an option. That OS only has 2 BAR as an option. On an 0411 OS, it looks like this:

You can see on the description on the bottom the advantage from being able to disable it. Unfortunately in your case, it is not really an option. I'm not completely sure if zeroing it out will make the changes wanted. But considering how the factor works, it should bias strictly IAT as desired.

I hope you are figuring it out brother. You could try tuning the table from the stock values and seeing if that makes a difference. Biasing ECT will tell it it hotter, so maybe the PCM will increase the fuel? It may be accounting for this. The actual PCM calculations are a mystery to most, as far as how each one of them actually calculates it. It doesn't make a ton of sense however because you moved the sensor to where it is the most accurate, so it should already be accounting for the air correctly.

Another option is to use the OL EQ table to add some fuel in those cells. So if it's getting hot at idle (I know mine does) like 200* ish, then simply add in a correction on the OL EQ table in those areas. If you can't get all the bias calcs working, this will definitely command richer fuel.

Last edited by ChopperDoc; 07-17-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:00 AM
7 Second Club

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Ahh open loop SD on a gen3 PCM, quite possibly the worst combination you could pick. LOL!

1. Upgrade your OS from a 99 to an 01-02 and leave the complex model enabled and bias settings stock
2. Relocate your IAT sensor to the front of the car so it can't heat soak in the engine bay or in an intake manifold
3. Highly suggest reconsidering open loop
4. Somewhat suggest reconsidering SD on a Gen3 PCM if not necessary (like with big boost) since it's technically just a backup air model and isn't as accurate as a MAF
4. Profit?