PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Goes lean when warming up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019 | 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Default Goes lean when warming up.

Hello. I have a car with an LS1 and aftermarket cam. I’m not big into mods anymore, but I do have access to hptuners. The car runs great when it’s warmed up. Also, I used to run it down the track all the time. Now it’s just my errand running vehicle. It hardly ever sees the highway. When it’s cold and warming up (open loop I think?) it will go extremely lean (like 20.0 ratio) when I go from no throttle to open throttle, like when stopping at a stop sign. Occasionally, it even dies. After a second or 2, the computer seems to catch it and make a correction. The colder it is outside, the worse it seems to be. Once it warms up, it runs absolutely perfect. This is not something the computer can learn long term. I’ve had this issue for years and would like to finally try to correct it. I’m going to dust off the tuning computer and make some adjustments. Which table should I go after? I tried the open loop afr table. It runs richer when warming up, but it did not fix the lean issue when opening the throttle from the closed position. Thanks for any suggestions. Go easy on me; I’m extremely rusty.
Old 06-30-2019 | 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have just been working on this situation with my car using a E67 computer. You need to go into the Engine/Idle/Airflow and go to the Start Up Airflow table. I used this video for my computer, but you should easily get it to work for yours. Skip the part about getting it to idle and go to the cold start section. Mine works like a dream now.

Old 07-06-2019 | 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joyridin'
I have just been working on this situation with my car using a E67 computer. You need to go into the Engine/Idle/Airflow and go to the Start Up Airflow table. I used this video for my computer, but you should easily get it to work for yours. Skip the part about getting it to idle and go to the cold start section. Mine works like a dream now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK1wWh26cbA
The video says that will help with warm starts. My issue only occurs on cold starts when going from closed throttle to open. The idle itself is great. Should I still try that table?
Old 07-06-2019 | 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

it needs fuel added to it in the open loop coolant temp table. Its based on coolant temp so when its colder it will add extra fuel. Any tuner should be able to fix your issues