Sponsored by:

Noob Tuner Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Noob Tuner Needs Help

Hey guys,

I have a 00' Z28 with a mystery cam thats run horribly after being tuned. Was street tuned a tad to fix old parameters from a previous owner that supposedly were awful, and im pretty sure we tuned it on a melted 02 Plug. After replacing that plug, all of my running issues that were intermittent became constant.

First, I had the car switching back and forth from open loop and closed loop, and fuel trims were extreme. I'm talking upwards of 30-40% in opposite directions on each bank. Car feels like its misfiring like a **** with any throttle. Smoking out the exhaust pretty bad. Smells like fuel not oil. Now stuck completely in open loop and doesnt provide fuel trims whatsoever.

I don't know what needs to be fixed as far as parameters go and I was hoping for some advice. Tuner buddy is out of town and i'm a broke college kid, so a proper dyno tune is out of the question. However, I would like to have a someone take a look and see if maybe something isn't quite right.

Files are attached. Any tips or pointers are appreciated.

"original" is my tune before any issues started.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
00camaro-original.hpt (222.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: hpt
2019-08-24-start.hpt (224.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by imagen2k; 09-08-2019 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 502 Likes on 352 Posts

I did not bother to look at your logs, because your description of the problem simply screams "mechanical issue". You cannot tune out mechanical issues. Go back to basics, and fix your parts. While you are at it, try to find out what parts you actually have. Once that is done to the best of your ability, post relevant questions.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gametech
I did not bother to look at your logs, because your description of the problem simply screams "mechanical issue". You cannot tune out mechanical issues. Go back to basics, and fix your parts. While you are at it, try to find out what parts you actually have. Once that is done to the best of your ability, post relevant questions.

When the problems started, I ended up pulling the throttle body and maf and cleaned them.

I Swapped in a brand new MAF from a buddy and that didn’t make a difference.

Replaced 02’s again.

Checked fuel pressure.

Replaced fuel filter

spark plugs and plug wires.

Only thing I thought it could’ve been possibly was maybe my TPS.

Just wanna know if reverting back to the previous parameters in which it ran fine would be a smart move.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

put the old tune back in it and start logging data...if you tune with a mechanical issue then the tune is going to be off when the mechanical stuff is fixed.
The following users liked this post:
imagen2k (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 03:35 PM
Teching In

If the fuel trims are that far apart, you may have the O2 connectors swapped.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cheep
If the fuel trims are that far apart, you may have the O2 connectors swapped.
Replaced my fuel filter again and it seemed to help. Idles now. Still backfires a little if I give the pedal a little love tap.

Fuel trims are still off. Gonna swap out the bank 1 sensor with the other side and see if the trims change

EDIT: new 02 did not help at all.

Last edited by imagen2k; 09-08-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Noob Tuner Needs Help