Sponsored by:

P0102 MAF Sensor question for 01 WS6 TA

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 03:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0102 MAF Sensor question for 01 WS6 TA

Hi,

Hopefully this is the right forum for this.

My 01 WS6 TA was throwing a P0102 code for quite a while and running a little rough. My buddy who is a mechanic told me to just unplug the MAF sensor and see what happens. I did and now it runs super smooth again. My friend suggested that I get some MAF Sensor cleaner and clean the thing to see if that fixes things. I got the cleaner, haven't used it yet, because I am a guitar player and not a mechanic and I am always afraid that any auto repair efforts on my part may end in the total destruction of my car. : )

But I guess I will attempt it because, according to my friend, it is easy enough that I probably won't hurt anything.

Before talking to my friend, I was thinking of taking it into a shop to be diagnosed and so forth. They were saying that a good MAF sensor was very expensive, so they wanted to do a lot of diagnostic work hoping to avoid replacing it.

However, I believe I found a remanufactured AC Delco MAF Sensor on Rockauto for about $104.00 or so, and a brand new Delphi for about $103.00. In the event that cleaning the thing doesn't do the trick and I have to replace it, are the ones I found good enough parts, or am I missing something, because the guy at the shop I talked to was saying like $700.00 or so for the part.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1374713&jsn=19

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1374713&jsn=18

Thanks!

Best,

fastertransam
Old 12-04-2019, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Clean yours first. You are jumping to conclusions.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Clean yours first. You are jumping to conclusions.

Thanks. Yeah, like I said, I bought the cleaner already. Just trying to get my head around whether or not one of the ones I found would be suitable in case. Hopefully the cleaning will take care of it, but would the one's I found be O.K.?

Best,

Old 12-10-2019, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

So I’ve been driving the car for awhile with the sensor unplugged. Nervous about taking the car apart to clean it, and I also just kind of wanted to see what it would do. Today I drove it for a Ways and it started developing that shifting problem that I talked about in another thread, I guess because the fluid gets hot and all that. Clutch fluid apparently needs to be changed. But along with the shifting issue it started running rough again. I don’t know whether to plug the sensor back in , or leave it unplugged until I can get it cleaned or replaced.

i can put the code reader on it and clear it to see if that does anything.

Any advice welcome. Please be kind. : )

Best,

fastertransam
Old 12-11-2019, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm. I put the code reader on it, and it showed the MAF sensor code and a clutch switch code [I guess from the shifting weirdness]. Cleared the codes and it runs normal again, even though it threw the MAF code again after a little while [MAF sensor still unplugged].

Just wondering if it is bad to run the car for any length of time with the MAF sensor unplugged. My buddy said it wouldn't hurt anything, but I would like to get other people's thoughts on it also if anyone has any.

Thanks,

fastertransam
Old 12-11-2019, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Without the MAF, it goes into speed density mode. You just lose a little power and efficiency. All EFI systems were SD before MAF came about.
The following users liked this post:
fastertransam (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 02:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Without the MAF, it goes into speed density mode. You just lose a little power and efficiency. All EFI systems were SD before MAF came about.

Thanks. I googled SD mode, and I guess it shouldn't hurt it until I get it cleaned or replaced, if necessary.

One other thing that seems odd with the car is that it seems to run rough, or a little rough, in the rain. I thought it was the air intake tube thing that had a tear in it, but that's been replaced. Any idea what else that could be? Seems to shudder a little when its raining. ????

Thanks,

fastertransam

Quick Reply: P0102 MAF Sensor question for 01 WS6 TA