Sponsored by:

Help with HP Tuners licensing credits

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Help with HP Tuners licensing credits

Hello,

I have a 2006 P59 from an L33 truck that will need a 2 BAR OS with a 4l80e. My existing tune OS has but one option: 2 bar only (w/o real time) and I can't find a 4l80e OS to swap, so it's worthless to me, not to mention I'd like the option for 3 BAR at some point too. Stupidly I flashed an 04 Tahoe flex tune from the repository, swapped in the 4l80e and had the perfect tune. I went to flash it to my ECM and learned of my mistake as HP Tuners asked me to license the ECM tune which I don't plan to use in order to write to the ECM.

I wrote to HP Tuners and they advised the system might let me flash the repository tune to my ECM after I license my ECM's tune, but it also might ask me fore 2 more credits to re-license the repository tune.

Does anyone know if I will need to license just my ECM tune to flash the repository tune I already licensed, or will I be hit to re-license that tune as well? 6 credits seems a bit much for what I'm trying to do. Does anyone have a better path forward? Should I just buy an earlier ECM? I'm told the later ones had less room for the custom OS's so most have few options. If I license my ECM I'm essentially spending $100 for the metal box itself, possibly $200 depending on what the software requests I license.

If I use this earlier tune (2004) will it play nice with the 06 harness? I was under the impression all P59's were basically the same, with the exception of some working with DBC but all working with DBW which I have. This is a swap so it doesn't need to be compatible with a BCM or anything like that.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so I got frustrated and purchased an ECM on eBay in hopes of getting one with a common enough OS that I could segment swap flex fuel and a 4l80e. I ended up with one ending in 6960 which after going through the repository seems to be garbage as well.

I don't mind using a few more credits to unlock an ECM, but I want to use the tune that I already licensed from the repository which had all the goodies I was looking for.

The response from HP Tuners support was that it will charge me 2 to unlock the ECM, but possibly an additional 2 credits for the VIN/OS pairing I would be creating. Does anyone have any insight into this?

This is a swap so I don't need the VIN to agree with the ECM, if that's what their statement about a VIN/OS pairing refers to. I'm in the dark here.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:36 AM
Launching!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tiznodd
Ok, so I got frustrated and purchased an ECM on eBay in hopes of getting one with a common enough OS that I could segment swap flex fuel and a 4l80e. I ended up with one ending in 6960 which after going through the repository seems to be garbage as well.

I don't mind using a few more credits to unlock an ECM, but I want to use the tune that I already licensed from the repository which had all the goodies I was looking for.

The response from HP Tuners support was that it will charge me 2 to unlock the ECM, but possibly an additional 2 credits for the VIN/OS pairing I would be creating. Does anyone have any insight into this?

This is a swap so I don't need the VIN to agree with the ECM, if that's what their statement about a VIN/OS pairing refers to. I'm in the dark here.
Inbox me. I can segment swap your OS with 2 and 3 bar OS options with a 4L80 segment. That way, you wont have to use/spend anymore credits...
Old 03-06-2020, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Hi jaydubb, I appreciate the offer but I ended up resolving it. I had to license the ECM regardless, I just wasn't sure what the hell HP Tuners was talking about when they suggested I would need another 2 credits to resolve the VIN/OS pairing.

I had already licensed a tune from the repository, then today just licensed the ECM. Once that was done I was able to write entire over the unused OS on the ECM. Just posting the resolution for future searches. I suspect if I needed the VIN to match my vehicle it might have cost more credits.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

digging up some info.

so do we still have to buy credits if we swap a pcm to a newer one?

I did the 98 to 99-02 411 pcm repin, so I can run 3bar and a 4l80e. I have the HPtuner MVPI2 that i bought in 2020.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
digging up some info.

I did the 98 to 99-02 411 pcm repin, so I can run 3bar and a 4l80e. I have the HPtuner MVPI2 that i bought in 2020.
I believe so as they use the PCM serial number and VIN to license, so even if you keep the same VIN the serial number will be different.
The following users liked this post:
JoshuaGrooms83 (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

so I gotta shell out another $100 in credits again... yay lol
Old 08-03-2022, 06:42 AM
Launching!

digging up some info.

Yes...
Old 08-03-2022, 06:43 AM
Launching!

so I gotta shell out another $100 in credits again... yay lol
It could be worse... LOL
The following users liked this post:
JoshuaGrooms83 (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict