Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire harnesses

I have a 1999 Firebird v6 and was looking at getting a 5.3 from an SSR and I noticed some differences in the wiring harness. I could use that vehicles wiring harness for my car right? Shouldn’t all GM wiring harnesses be practically the same?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:02 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No, there can be drastic differences in how the engine harness ties in to the chassis harness. How the engine harness gets powered. The location of the fuse box. The location of the PCM. It can be made to work but it's not for the faint of heart. Also aren't SSR's drive by wire, that another issue to take care of.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pacer Racer:
B52bombardier1 (04-07-2020), Wiles111 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacer Racer
No, there can be drastic differences in how the engine harness ties in to the chassis harness. How the engine harness gets powered. The location of the fuse box. The location of the PCM. It can be made to work but it's not for the faint of heart. Also aren't SSR's drive by wire, that another issue to take care of.
so then I would have to get another wire harness from a different car? Or just use the one on my v6 and have the ECM reprogrammed. And for the drive by wire I could just replace the intake manifold for an electric throttle

Quick Reply: Wire harnesses