Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Absolute Newb! Just Want To Look at Data

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Absolute Newb! Just Want To Look at Data

As long as I've been on this site this is literally the first time I've ventured into this Tuning subforum
With all the covid stuff going on lately I feel like I'm out of things to keep me busy.
What I want to know is what do I need to be able to connect to my car and just look at the current data?
I've found a bundle that was $700 which included the MVP12 Pro with AEM Wideband. That sounds excessive for what I want.
I was hoping all I need was an OBD2 connection for my Windows laptop and then some version of hptuners software.

Most of the stickies looked to be 10-15 years old so I wasn't sure if what was said then is still what to do/use in 2020.
Thanks for you help!
Old 04-26-2020, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you want to just look at what's going on? Real time parameters? Code reading? Or do you also want the ability to edit a tune in the future?
Old 04-27-2020, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Real time parameters.
When I had my car tuned a while back the tuner said my o2's were lagging although they were brand new Denso's. My car runs fine, but maybe it could run better that's why I'd like to be able to take a look at it.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts

If standard PIDs exist for the parameters you want to log, the logger included with PCM Hammer will do what you want. You can get it from PCMHammer.org.

You'll need an interface, the best option right now is the Obdx Pro (Google it).

There is a Wikipedia page with a list of standard PIDs.

It can theoretically log everything, but some reverse engineering of PCM code is needed to find each additional parameter for each additional OS. I'm working on the OS in my C5, and the community could use help finding parameters in other operating systems.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, well, you can do it on your phone for $100. I use the Blue Driver app and blue tooth interface when I don't have my computer around to run my HPTuners. You can get it off Amazon and it works with either apple or Android devices. You can read and clear codes, and real time data log. I highly recommend it if you don't feel like getting into actual tuning/spending tons of money on something you won't use.

Quick Reply: Absolute Newb! Just Want To Look at Data