PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

passing smog ecu plug in only inquiry...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020 | 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default passing smog ecu plug in only inquiry...

hello ... yes i have searched but all i find is outdated info or nothing definitive. pretty straight forward here - i'm simply wondering if any tuner with decent capabilities can properly tune out all emission related codes & cycle-tests to "ready' or "passed" to where as far as the smog station is concerned the car has no issues & will pass? this is on an 02' with no tail pipe required. also visual/sound not being of concern & the car running fine. thanks in advance for any answers. also if you're in northern cali & know of a tuner that can do so that would be great. i have a good smog shop that doesn't care about visual or how the car sounds just needs no codes & all readiness tests passed of course.
Old 06-06-2020 | 04:56 PM
11 Second Club
5 Year Member

Messing with the emissions readiness monitors is illegal and those system monitors are needed to diagnose if there's a problem with the emissions such as worn out O2's or catalyst's. Even if you could set them not to report your still going to have incomplete's or not ready's and it will still fail.
Old 06-06-2020 | 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Messing with the emissions readiness monitors is illegal and those system monitors are needed to diagnose if there's a problem with the emissions such as worn out O2's or catalyst's. Even if you could set them not to report your still going to have incomplete's or not ready's and it will still fail.
i understand the legalities of the cel & the readiness tests. but pretty much nvm as ive found on other posts any decent tuner can tune out all codes & tune the readiness tests to complete, i.e. you will pass the obd scanner smog test.
Old 06-07-2020 | 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

If you're running the factory ECU, passing plug-in emissions is no problem, regardless of modifications. You can still be failed on a visual (though you mentioned its not a concern), but the trouble codes that fail you can be disabled. Everything will still show as ready after the appropriate amount of drive time.
Old 06-23-2020 | 02:08 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Set to show ready, no report and your all set.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (07-12-2021)

Quick Reply: passing smog ecu plug in only inquiry...