PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Timing on the shift with boost

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Timing on the shift with boost

So I am wondering if someone is willing to be a little more specific on timing numbers with boost, on the shift. I know this is one of the easiest ways to pop a ring land.
The current setup in question if it matters is a genIII 6.0
Borg S475 80E PTC 3200 converter 3:55 on a 26" tire. Car is on E. (More so for the future)
So on the 1-2 shift 6800 (currently @ 9psi) it drops to right at 5400. That's right about peak torque according to the data.
My understanding is this is NOT ideal, and sounds like it is the main cause of breaking a ring land. (Precisely why it's only on 9psi so far)
So in this type of situation, what's the best plan of attack? The shift RPM has been raised already trying to get it out of this area, but don't really want to go much higher. I am wondering how much timing should be pulled and for how long?
If anyone has any good info on anything specific I am missing by all means chime in.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 650 Likes on 499 Posts

So you are using an 80e, does it still use tq management on the shifts? On mine I am still using the tq management on the shifts and it pulls 5-8 degrees on the shift which happens to drop to 5200 in lower boost, when I turn up the boost, it'll drop to like 5800. So you could turn the boost up to like 20psi (kidding) so it wont drop as low, or use the tq management. It pulls it for about 2-300 rpm IIRC.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah I should have been more clear. Everyone knows what I am thinking right? LOLIt is a 80e. Car has Holley on it. I guess I am more wondering what the general consensus is for what most guys do to keep a boosted genIII alive on the shifts. If you are running 16* normally, are you pulling say 3-4* just before the shift, and then add it back in a degree at a time, or 2, or all, and how fast?

Quick Reply: Timing on the shift with boost