Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth ELM 327 mini scanner connection to ECU issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bluetooth ELM 327 mini scanner connection to ECU issue

Bought an elm 327 mini ob2 scanner.. to use in my 99 Camaro. downloaded a few different apps to use in iOS iPhone X. I plug it into the OBD2 port, lights come on and flash briefly.. I then run the app “car scanner” and it says ELM327 connected (via Bluetooth) but it keeps saying “connecting” for ECU its then scanning or whatever for
protocols,but never fully makes a connection to the ECU for some
reason.. I tried it in my RAV4 and my wife’s jeep and it works fine. I feel the OBD2 port on my Camaro is fine, because when I connect a wired OBD2 scanner to it, it works fine for reading codes. I can’t wrap my head around why it won’t communicate with my ECU? Anyone else had this issue and or know a solution? Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

EDIT: for the cheapies make sure in Torque that you check the box for "slower ELM devices" and you have to completely close Torque and reopen for that setting to take. Just reboot phone to make sure.

Not kidding, I've had at least 3 or 4 of that exact same $7 scanner and believe me, they have like a 50% failure rate AT LEAST. I got my first one way back when and told all my friends to get them, and they started bringing me BRAND NEW ones that were dead to test for them. Horrible quality, very flakey. I think I have a box of 3 or 4 broken ones LOL.

My favorite "cheap" one that I used was like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/17350775890...IAAOSwa2tcfzNw but not sure if I used it with my fbody, as I use HPTuners for that mostly. Under $15 and although cheap it's more reliable than the blue elms.

if this forum strips out my links just PM me. But it's a smallish OBD with a red band around it, mine says KONNWEI and looks like the pic at the bottom.

One thing I like about it is that there is an on/off switch on the face, so you don't have to unplug it if you're afraid it'll kill your battery.

BUT, the best one that I've bought (and fastest one) is not a cheapie, it's an MX+ from scantool dot net. If you're patient you can catch it on sale for $59 (that's what I paid). It's very fast and super reliable from my experience on different cars. it works wth torque but also has included software that was able to do enhanced GM pids (Knock Retard for example). Check their site. It updates in Torque very fast compared to the blue ones.

Last edited by mk3cn4; 08-05-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ditched the old ELM 327 and went with BlueDrive Pror ob2 scan tool with Bluetooth

I ended up ditching the ELM and bought the BlueDriver Pro ob2 scan tool it was $100 but well worth it. Only thing is there’s no option to measure transmission temperature as of yet. Hopefully that feature will be available in future updates but not sure.. not even sure if the cars ECU can even read transmission temps and if not I’ll have to buy a gauge for it. But all in all I’m happy with this purchase instead of the ELM.. thanks again for the info much appreciated 😎👍🏼
Old 05-30-2021, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

If you find a hundred dollar bill laying on the ground, spend it on a "VX Diag VCX Nano" J2534 device on a USB cable - seek out the You Tube videos. It is a far better scanner, is four times faster at scanning than with an ELM327 device, has bi-directional controls, comes with a Tech2 emulator, has none of the Bluetooth connection trouble and lashes up to PCM Hammer with ease.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
fucter (05-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Bluetooth ELM 327 mini scanner connection to ECU issue