Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High IATs killing my VE table.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default High IATs killing my VE table.

So today it was hotter than Satans ******* and I did some VE tuning. Stopping every few miles flashing and going on. We’ll I noticed my IATs were over 100 all day and after idling a few minutes they’d be 150 ish. I had the majority of the VE table within 3 percent so later tonight after everything had cooled down I drive the car and I’m now 15 percent rich. We’ll after I let the car idle trying to figure out what happened I take it for a drive and everything fell back into line. What’s causing this? If it’s hot outside (high IATs) I’m getting mid 14s and under 5 percent if it’s cool out I’m running low 13s. It’s a open loop speed density set up 02 Fbody. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to relocate my IAT for this same reason. Mine would read 130*F idling when it was only 80* outside.
The computer is leaning the mixture because it thinks its getting 150* air. You then add fuel and it makes it rich after the IAT comes down.

Disclaimer* I'm a novice tuner.

Last edited by TravisA; 07-04-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisA
I had to relocate my IAT for this same reason. Mine would read 130*F idling when it was only 80* outside.
The computer is leaning the mixture because it thinks its getting 150* air. You then add fuel and it makes it rich after the IAT comes down.

Disclaimer* I'm a novice tuner.
Interesting. Self proclaimed novice guy just imparted some serious wisdom. ditch the "air intake temp" idea, and substitute "air manifold temperature". Even General Motors fell into this trap for years. They put an IAT sensor in an area that had almost no relation to actual manifold air temps. There is, of course, a table to correct for this. Why bother with an extra correction table when you could relocate the sensor to the intake manifold?
Old 07-08-2021, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I ended up undoing the free ram air and relocated the IAT just below the factory air inlet. Hasn’t been over 91 yet idling and fueling doesn’t move.

Quick Reply: High IATs killing my VE table.