Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Camaro LS3 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Camaro LS3 conversion

I have no idea if this is in the right section. (sorry if it isn't)

Hey guys quick question, I bought a 98 Camaro in which the previous owner had did a LS3 conversion. My problem is that my A/C compressor won't kick on. I was told by the dealership that I need a new ECU due to corrosion, which won't allow the compressor to kick on and that it would be $2400. I plan on buying one online that is already flashed to hopefully save some money; the problem is that I have no idea which ECU to buy. Do I need to buy the ECU that originally comes with the car or do I need to buy one for the LS3. Will a LS1 ECU work with the LS3? I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff and desperately need A/C. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Which ECU is now controlling the engine? That will tell you whether or not the LS3 has been converted to 24x from 58x or not.. Can you get more info from the previous owner? In a case like this, the previous owner should have told you EVERYTHING he did in dropping the LS3 into the car. Or you should do a LOT of reading about the differences between Gen III and Gen IV engines. What was in it originally?
Old 07-28-2021, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Which ECU is now controlling the engine? That will tell you whether or not the LS3 has been converted to 24x from 58x or not.. Can you get more info from the previous owner? In a case like this, the previous owner should have told you EVERYTHING he did in dropping the LS3 into the car. Or you should do a LOT of reading about the differences between Gen III and Gen IV engines. What was in it originally?
I believe it says Delco Electronics J1 Blue on it, and yes I definitely should've have gotten that information before buying.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:06 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

You have to pull the pcm out to see the sticker on it to tell what it is. Do that and report back.

There is no way it’s an LS3 ecu. They aren’t compatible with the rest of the car and the harness is totally different.

The J1 Blue is a clue that it’s either the original 98 Camaro PCM or possibly a later PCM from a 99-02 Camaro.
That is a popular upgrade to a 98 as it’s a better PCM. Requires re-wiring the PCM connectors.

BTW, the orig PCM will run an LS3 just fine. It needs to be retuned though.

Do what I asked above. It will be clear what’s been done.

And run away from that dealer!

Ron

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro LS3 conversion