Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vats - BCM issue help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vats - BCM issue help?

Long time fan of this forum, now an official member with the car... and unfortunately an issue I'm hoping to get some help on!

02 TA - Having an intermittent non-starting issue. I am able to get the car to start up after trying on/off maybe 5-10 times? Car turns on, go to start, no starter click or anything and I get the solid Security Light with Service Engine and Security lights on dash. I did all the searching and research. Placed this as a VATS issue. Checked my key resistor pellet (7.46) got the resistor to install, but upon checking the key wires from the ignition, I'm getting the correct resistor value even when starting - So this tells me I have the issue further upstream. I read up on the bcm issues and repair - My question: Does the BCM solder repair I've read about address the VATS system in the car as well? Does this sound like what my next step is to correct this? Based on what I've read, the BCM repair is usually for guys having radio turn off and on, windows not roll up, etc. I just want to have a good plan before trying to pull the BCM out, sounds like a PITA to get to
Old 08-17-2021, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't know the vintage of your vehicle, but 2012-14+- GM products had an issue with the switchblade type fob. If you put the key in straight (180), everything works. But if the key is at 90 degrees or something less than 180, the conditions you cite are experienced. Even the Service Manager didn't know about this and it almost came down to a buyback.

Just a thought, Nick
Old 08-17-2021, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like an easier fix! Unfortunately, mine is an 02... so no dice there. Appreciate the input either way!

Quick Reply: Vats - BCM issue help?